1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sponge cake flop

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by eggnchips, May 20, 2011.

1. Where am I going wrong? I've used the old faithful cream 4 oz fat and sugar ,add 2 eggs, fold in SR flour. It never rises properly and is sort of half cake half scone.
    I'm thinking of going all in one![​IMG]

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Ok....here goes.
    I always weigh the eggs in their shells and use this weight for the sugar, butter and flour. It's approx 2 eggs to 4oz but this takes into account different egg sizes.
    Also always use large or extra large eggs (then it will be slightly more than 4oz)
    Now, whisk butter and caster sugar until really....REALLY...light and fluffy and almost white in colour.
    Add beaten aggs a little at a time ans whisk thoroughly between each addition. Add 1tsp proper vanilla essence.
    Now, sift flour and add 1tsp baking poweder, even if using SR flour. This sifting adds even more air to the mixture.
    Add the flour in 2-3 batches, either folding in or whisking VERY slowly just to incorporate the flour. Any vigorous beating at this stage will knock the air out. Add a little milk until the mixture is dropping consistency.
    Now divide between two 7inch sandwich tins (for a 2 egg mix, 8 inch for 3 egg mix) and bake.
    Do not open the oven door until 5 mins before baking time (25mins at 180 degrees) is up as this will cause the cake to collapse. 5 mins before end of time, if you want to take a peek and test with a skewer or push gently with fingertip. If skewer comes out clean, or cake bounces back from finger, it is done!
    Hope this helps.

3. Sounds the same recipe method that I use (except I use 3 eggs/6oz).
    Not sure what is going wrong but my main mistake is opening the oven door to check that it is rising properly/not burning (my oven is really fierce). I need to find the right balance between leaving it alone to rise and catching it in time before it frazzles.
    Never tried going all in one so don't know if that makes the rising any better.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

It sounds like you are beating the mixture too much when adding the flour. Always fold in using a metal spoon.

All in one works well and is usually the first method I teach in school, just add a scant teasp of baking powder to make up for the air missing from the creaming.

5. Thanks peeps. I will not be beaten but I will be beating! My kids have made fantastic cakes at school using all in one. Really light and well risen.

6. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

<u>Food processor foolproof all in one method for Victoria sponge</u>.
    4 oz SR flour (or that very fine Supreme sponge flour)
    4 oz Flora
    4 oz caster sugar
    2 large eggs

Wang everything into the processor and whizz it until it is mixed. If it looks a bit stiff, a dribble or two of milk will put that right. Divide into two well greased and floured 6 inch cake tins- I find 7 inch tins too large for a 4-4-4-2 mix. Bake 175 degrees in a fan oven. Don't knock it or pull it out to peer at it, or it will sag. Sandwich together with raspberry jam.
    This method works wonderfully well for buns and mini muffins, which take no time at all to bake.
    I have made vicky sponges this way for decades with no failures.

Would anyone like a recipe for "Spanish apple cake" My german sister in law passed it on to me. I'll dig it out if anyone is interested. It's surprisingly chocolatey...

7. I always use the all in one method, but using stork instead of butter. Victoria sponge is the only cake where I don't use butter! I add 1 1/2 tsps of baking powder if making a cake with 3 eggs (and 6 oz of everything else). I then use a handmixer and beat it together until just combined.
    Let us know how you get on! x

8. Yes please! [​IMG]

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I wouldn't use flora or any low fat spread as it gives too high a proprtion of water in the mix.
    Stick to stork or butter.

10. I always use butter, never marg.
    You MUST fold in the flour with a metal spoon. The beating is for the ingredients before you fold in the flour in a kind of s shaped movement and very gently, otherwise you are getting rid of all that lovely air you have beaten in when you cream up your butter and sugar and beat in the eggs!
    Your butter/sugar mix (I still use a wooden spoon and elbow grease for this bit, never an electric whisk) should look really pale and creamy. Then you add the eggs, one at a time, and beat so that it doesn't curdle.
    Only then add the flour, a bit at a time and folded in, until the contents have mingled. Do NOT overmix!
    To judge when to open the oven, I go by colour. When the top is the colour of pale honey, I wait another minute or so, then test if the top "springs" back when I put my finger on it (I don't use the skewer method). If it doesn't, I place a piece of baking paper loosely on the top, and bake for another couple of minutes.
    I am not a fan of the all-in-on method, although I know many like it and have success with it.