1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spoken Language?

Discussion in 'English' started by lynne33, Oct 29, 2018.

1. lynne33

lynne33 New commenter

Anyone else received a letter from AQA about poor quality tasks being set for Spoken Language? Somewhat annoying!

2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

No. What tasks did you set?
    My students have always enjoyed this and performed well. I always allowed them to chose their task. I always had a very wide range of responses and some distinctions.

3. lynne33

lynne33 New commenter

I clearly missed the bullet point about scripts not being allowed.

The tasks were fine just not the delivery. Aqa are now insisting on visiting me for two hours. It sounds horrible, but I don't have the time. We are about to enter the PPE hell zone and I'll have 200 odd papers to mark!

4. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I used to make them write a mini-essay about 500-700 words. Learn it. Make it into a powerpoint with bullet points as reminders. Practise delivering it. Present it for filming (with pre-rehearsed questions from their mates).
    This was always a homework task as it was so time consuming. Obviously some students took it more seriously than others and this was usually reflected in their grade.
    Any dealings that I have had with AQA have usually been positive. Keep smiling :)

5. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

p.s. I used to let them borrow my powerpoint clicky thing for changing the slides. This looked more professional and they loved the clicky thing. Somehow, we managed a relaxed party sort of atmosphere which helped to alleviate the stress of filming. Candidates were applauded at the end and rewarded with sweets.

6. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Is there anything we can do to support you before AQA arrive?

7. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

I’ve seen teachers on Twitter also saying they have had letters. The guidance does state that schools where issues with the spoken language arise will be given additional support’. I guess the letters are the first stage of that. I’ve not heard of any other visits, though the guidance does explicitly mention them as a possibility.

8. lynne33

lynne33 New commenter

We are going to have to re-film year 11 asap. I'm still confused about group filming. They're allowed to be in groups and wear name badges but can I film them as a collective or do they need to take turns speaking? I filmed a discussion between two students but not clear if this is allowed. Any advice gratefully received.

9. lynne33

lynne33 New commenter

We have just lost two teachers as well and we're a huge school so it's harder than it should be!

10. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

There is lots of advice on the AQA site including exemplars with grades

11. lynne33

lynne33 New commenter

Aqa's response:

We can confirm that the approach to the assessment of the Spoken Language endorsement is the same across all awarding bodies.
    In terms of the 'group performances’, the stance has always been that this is best avoided. This is simply due to the fact that our experience shows that they tend to be over rewarded in not properly considering carefully the individual inputs to a discussion. It is often that one student will lead more than the other, or be potentially stronger and in our assessment experience this is often not considered by the teachers.
    However, in the style that you have outlined, it could well work. As long as there is uninterrupted sustained presentation by both students and they both have opportunities to answer questions individually, this would be fine. All our guidance is on the website.

We can confirm that scripts are not banned as such – students can use them as prompts, but as you note, it is likely that a heavy reliance on them means at best they can only be classed as a Pass.
    We ask for a balance of P/M/D videos. If you have a big cohort and a number of students at each Level they should be balanced as 10/10/10. However, if you don’t have as many D or P as 10, then you should make the 30 up from a more representative sample trying to ensure that you provide all the P/M or D that you can’.