1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spoken Language Unit 3: C URGENT ADVICE PLEASE

Discussion in 'English' started by katiehoughton, Sep 15, 2011.

1. I have just started teaching and I have a set 3 year 11 class. Although setted, the class still has a range in ability B/C - F.
    I really need advice from people who have done the controlled assessment.
    Out of the options of topics what do you think is the easiest for them to grasp?
    At the moment I am looking at the one about brevity in texting but I was also thinking about the analysis of a political speech.
    I need to come up with something for our department meeting Monday.
    I would really appreiate advice on this matter as I really want to get the best out of my class.
    Thank you
    Katie

2. I have just started teaching and I have a set 3 year 11 class. Although setted, the class still has a range in ability B/C - F.
    I really need advice from people who have done the controlled assessment.
    Out of the options of topics what do you think is the easiest for them to grasp?
    At the moment I am looking at the one about brevity in texting but I was also thinking about the analysis of a political speech.
    I need to come up with something for our department meeting Monday.
    I would really appreiate advice on this matter as I really want to get the best out of my class.
    Thank you
    Katie

3. I would go for texting as they will be likely to analyse the speech as opposed to its delivery.

However, if you are starting from scratch and they are submitting in 2012, I would personally go for personal idiolect.

4. Ok thanks, Well actually we started at the beginning of term but we have just been told that the top three sets have to take it early, so time isn't on our side.

Anyone else have anything to add?

5. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

If it is AQA then you could do it very quickly by using the personal idiolect worksheets from the TES (but only those - don't bother so much with the maxims etc.) to develop key vocabulary; and use the AQA student exemplar from their website as a structure for the assessment (which is what my kids ended up doing anyway - presenting a chronology of their language development with some analysis and explanation - they are a C/D borderline group!). Mine mindmapped each paragraph. You should set up homework ASAP - recording two conversations for transcribing (you could get them to do this in pairs or small groups as only one has to transcribe and they can photocopy it for each other!) and surveying friends and family about their attitude to language. If time, throw in the news articles from the TES resources about the influencing of texting/technology and get the pupils to track how it is influencing their spoken language use (for example the phrase I'm confused dot com).