1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spoken Language Study CA grade descriptors

Discussion in 'English' started by Eva_Smith, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I'm finding it really hard to understand exactly what it is the kids have to be able to do.

I'm attempting to create a planning sheet to guide pupils in the prep stage of their controlled assessment: things to look out for in their data and so on. Also, I want to make sure that they focus on the grade criteria in their planning.
    But to be honest, I have absolutely no idea what it is they are supposed to be writing about. I don't even know which band they should be aiming at for their target grades of B, C or D.
    It's so infuriating that everything's so vague.

2. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

No individual grade decriptors available. Only whole course ones.
    However it's possible to make an educated guess, if you must. Looks like AQA is bringing GCSE into line with A level where you are meant to give marks, not grades. I've always put a garde + N (notional) on my pupils' work, anyway, as you can only be certain that full marks = A* and 0 = U. Everything else is a movable feast.
    I'll take another look at the spoken language unit and see if I can post something helpful. (I teach A level Language.)

3. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Teachers need to put a different head on when marking CA and award a mark and band which relates to the skills demonstrated by the student. With that approach, marking work is straightforward. The difficulty comes when trying to fit what a student has done to a particular grade - you can't so don't try. In terms of target grades, use teacher assessment of overall performance by looking at the grade descriptions in the English and English Language specs. These are provided for A, C and F performance, so you need to slot the others in between. So you can still have a discussion about students achieving at particular grades but you cannot say they are achieving a particular grade because they got xxx marks on any one piece of work. It will all come right in the wash!

4. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Thanks. But my problem is that I haven't got the slightest clue what the skills descriptors mean. For instance, what is the difference between 'confident' and 'sophisticated'? Where does one draw the line between the two.

5. Who knows? To me, it's the difference between A/B and A/A*![​IMG]

6. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

I know it is difficult to get this ladder of skills right at first and of course, Spoken Language is new to all of us. However, to me "sopohisticated" indicates a level of achievement or awareness beyond what one would normally expect at the student's age and has a degree of insight and perception which takes it far beyond "confident". Have you looked at the exemplar marked material on Spoken Language on AQA's website? There isn't a great deal at the moment but what is there might give you a peg to hang some of the descriptors on. There is also going to be a degree of subjectivity about how these criteria are interpreted, especially at first but hopefully, standardising meetings (coming soon) will also help us to pitch our marking more accurately.

7. I am tutoring someone for the Spoken Language study; he is bright and understands the basics such as varying the language used and beginning, middle end etc but he claims that his teacher has said to ignore comparison of his data (a text message string) with other forms of communication and NOT to include a conclusion commenting on how the study had made him think about language in general.
    I am convinced that the instructions suggest a conclusion but ............?
    I am also confused by the teacher's instruction to aim for a C-B grade as the highest achievable level. If she is marking the assignment what is the point in trying for more?