1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spoken Lang Data Query - Regents?

Discussion in 'English' started by EmmaBB, Jul 8, 2011.

1. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

I was at a meeting/course with peter Buckroyd before Easter and he mentioned aboutthe possibility of looking at how characters speak in Of Mice & Men.
    Is it possible to use a fictional piece of data/prose for this? I think we could do something interesting with the occupation of migrant workers. Would be good prep for their exam in Lit too.

2. for spoken language aqa CA?
    it has to come from the bank of options provided by aqa

3. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Yes for Spoken Language.
    I've looked at the task bank & the spec & it only gives suggestions of types of data which can be used.
    I presumed that as PB suggested it it must be okay but I have a nagging doubt,

4. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

I share your doubts. Surely spoken language suggests it's got to be transcripts of real dialogue, not dialogue invented by a writer?

5. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Yep, but then again, this year's task was on soap operas, so surely that's fictional script? Gah... [​IMG] !!

6. I think there's a difference between dialogue on a soap and dialogue in a novel. The latter is only ever on the page whereas you can talk about the, sociolectal, ideolectal and dialectal features of characters' language in soap operas etc.

7. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Lots of scope for looking at how the features of written dialogue attempt to reproduce the unscripted spoken word. Were I doing this with a top set, I'd look at Shakespeare. That'ld set a cat amongst a few pigeons!

8. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Yep, and surely texting & MSM is "written". But like you say, looking at how it mirrors "real" speak...
    Oh now I'm really confused! Yes, not sure how it would go down with lower ability.

9. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

From a linguistic viewpoint, the whole thing about language and technology is that texting, facebooking, tweeting, etc is the merging of spoken and written language (well, that's according to my hero, Mr. Crystal - who would ever doubt him?!).
    I've still got an issue with using 'Of Mice and Men'. Steinbeck didn't write it to be made into a film, whereas a television script (like our old mate Shakey) is always written to be spoken....Regents, where are you?!

10. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

He did, actually.

11. diamond_raindrops

diamond_raindrops New commenter

We discussed the idea of using some of the Other Cultures Poetry for the Spoken Language CA. However, I can see there being a problem with using an exam text like OMAM- you may confuse the pupils about what they need to write for their exams.

12. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Yep sweetie, he did. Well, a script anyway.
    Diamond I see what you are saying, although I think I would only do such a task with higher ability. I like the fact I can "kill two birds with one stone". Time issues and all that...
    I guess the waters are still muddy. Will see if I can find "someone" at AQA who can clarify & will update this thread.

13. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

Err, sorry, I didn't make myself clear! Obviously I know the background of Steinbeck's intentions and his genre mix! This blurring of genre is why, in my opinion, it makes this idea a tricky one for a spoken language investigation.
    If it is acceptable to the board, I think the 'two birds' idea is great for able students. Analysis of spoken language in the text should provide insight into character, themes, historical context etc in readiness for the lit exam.

14. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Here I am but I'm afraid I don't have a definitive answer to this one off the top of my head. My gut feeling is that a literary text doesn't quite conform to the requirements but I need to look at the spec more closely, which I can't do right now as I'm away from home (and I would not wish to contradict the suggestions of someone as highly respected as Peter Buckroyd without firm evidence). As regards the task, it might be possible to incorporate such a task under the "speech relatiang to a specific occupation" heading? Watch this space for update from me or AQA Comms team.

15. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Thanks Regents.

16. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Spoken to some bods @ AQA today but told me to contact CA advisor. I await his response...