1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SPOILER Solution to Lalad's Can You Solve This

Discussion in 'Personal' started by doomzebra, Jun 28, 2015.

1. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

One point for every closed loop you can shade in.

2. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

That explains why we disagree, doom.

My solution was one point for every circular/oval shape you can shade in, which would mean that 1029 = 2, but nope=1 and yes= 0. Applying this rule to names would mean Lalad=0 and doomzebra= 2 as the shapes in the other letters are two sided.

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Very unlikely that young children would pick up on the nuances of the shape of the closed loop

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I too thought it would have to be circular shapes, as I doubt pre-schoolers would be able to differentiate ovals from circles or semi-circles, rather than 'close loops'.

5. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Probably not - but the original puzzle only included numbers, hence my interpretation.

If you extend it to words, then yes, the closed loops interpretation works better.

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

And very unlikely they'd be able to answer the question at all if it had been written using a stencil font.