1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spoil the Doctor Who 2017 Christmas special

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Dec 27, 2017.

?

Did you enjoy the Doctor Who 2017 Christmas Special?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Optional choice for people who think themselves above either-or polls but want to be included anyway

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Doctor Who, a BBC pension plan for past-it writers & producers, is now so bad that it is impossible to spoil. If you disagree then I challenge you to try to spoil its 2017 Christmas special for me before I watch it in a week's time, posting your synopses, reviews & commentaries here.

Likes awarded for genuinely creative fibs because they will almost certainly be more creative than the actual script.

Anyone reading past this opening post only has themselves to blame for any spoilers encountered.

Obviously.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I've been a devotee of Dr Who since it began, apart from a couple of years whilst at Uni/College and the early tv-less years of marriage, but I liked the 'pholosophical take' in the special.

3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Sadly, though I would like to make the attempt, I have been reliably informed that posting such
    are regarded as impolite and not the done thing.
    It would of course be especially inconsiderate to do so in a spoiler free zone.

According to the same reliable informant whose judgement I am unwilling to challenge a certain period of time should elapse before one should presume that it is safe to risk spoilers.
    Accordingly I shall (should I survive so long) be back in 15 to 20 years :D

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I was a huge fan in the 70s and 80s but became less interested towards the end of the first run and I've never really watched much of the newer stuff.

I watched most of the Christmas one - it was OK, nothing special.

lanokia and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No, not at all... just put it behind a spoiler box like so...

hello Didinator!

Or label your post 'spoilers' before you write it... so others can then choose to skip.

Consider it like a ''trigger warning'' ... you like them... ;)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Gay Daleks... *snigger*

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

In my youth I attended a couple of Who conventions and met my hero (Jon Pertwee), Tom Baker and Nick Courtney. I have most of the Pertwee era on DVD.

Lara mfl 05 and lanokia like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I clicked 'optional choice' because I haven't seen it yet but I always want to be in with the cool kids.

Vince_Ulam and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Didactylos4

Apparently it's a spoiler free zone Lan

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. Didactylos4

You're too old for that now :D

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Do we get a badge?
    [​IMG]

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Didactylos4

Dunno
    You have to ask the thread author

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I generally like the new stuff, but felt that the writer was in danger of disappearing up his own vortex with his multiple story arcs a few seasons ago. I reckon it was at its best during David Tennant's tenure - I particularly like The Family of Blood and the Weeping Angels episodes.

I feel like poor old Peter Capaldi spent too much time playing second fiddle to Jenna Coleman who had a very powerful screen presence for a number of reasons. Signing her off to play Queen Victoria was a good move - the Tardis wasn't big enough for the both of them, even on the inside. Sadly he never really got going in the role.

Current Xmas Special? Far less silly and more intellectually demanding than previous efforts, with some nice nods to earlier times. I can't say I ever warmed to Bill's personality though, a bit too Down Wiv Yoof for me, so I hope she stays out of the picture.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

... too old...?

Sorry that doesn't make sense... what are you on about?

Didactylos4 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

But Bill ticked a lot of diversity boxes as did Matt Lucas.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yes, Matt Lucas ticked the d******d box.