1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Splitting Edexcel AS Chemistry between two teachers

Discussion in 'Science' started by mm38, Mar 26, 2012.

1. mm38

mm38 New commenter

I haven't taught Edexcel for a number of years when I taught Nuffield but we managed that fine with 2 teachers. I do though teach AQA and that can easily be split into 2 halves. It's not perfect but in general one teacher would do the organic and inorganic and the other the physical topics. The only topics which don't work exactly like that is that my organic teacher needs to teach atomic structure and also group 2 and group 7 chemistry.

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I don't teach Edexcel, but I've always managed to split other chemistry courses 2 ways.
    We find it useful for sharing the nice classes, ensuring that any staff absence has less impact as well as giving two ways of explaining things. If a student has failed completely to understand a topic, it can be useful for them to talk to a different teacher who may explain it in words that the student finds easier to grasp.
    Best wishes,
    P

3. tyler durden

tyler durden New commenter

Thanks for all of the advice. I'll sit down with my head of chemistry and explain that the consensus is that it can be done.

4. ploughlane

ploughlane New commenter

I don't teach the current Edexcel spec but a quick look just now tells me it is similar in layout to the previous one I used to teach. Of course it can be split and to be honest it is better for the students seeing two teachers rather than the same one every day. I would split Unit 1 approximately like this: Teacher 1 teaches 1.3 calculations, 1.5 atomic structure and 1.6 bonding and Teacher 2 teaches 1.4 energetics and 1.7 organic chemistry. If you don't have much A level teaching at your school maybe your head of chemistry is being a bit greedy??