1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Split site KS3 / KS4 schools - experiences please

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by SoBinary, Apr 11, 2011.

1. My school is currently looking at going to a split site solution with KS3 being taught at one site 2 miles away from the KS4 site. It will amalgamate two schools with a different ethos and ratings.

Does anyone have experience of this process?
    How successful was it?
    How long did it take?
    What was the impact on the childrens educations?

From what I can make out it is not a good idea and may protentially make a mess of both schools.

http://tomlinscote-kings.blogspot.com/2011/04/split-site-disadvantages.html

All comments and links / case studies gratefully received.

2. My school is currently looking at going to a split site solution with KS3 being taught at one site 2 miles away from the KS4 site. It will amalgamate two schools with a different ethos and ratings.

Does anyone have experience of this process?
    How successful was it?
    How long did it take?
    What was the impact on the childrens educations?

From what I can make out it is not a good idea and may protentially make a mess of both schools.

http://tomlinscote-kings.blogspot.com/2011/04/split-site-disadvantages.html

All comments and links / case studies gratefully received.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

My school underwent a merger a few years ago. The initial phases were "interesting" with many people unsettled by change and lack of communication. Eventually things settled.down.
    A merger with split sites sounds dodgy - and separation of key stages is not something I would choose. It will need careful planning to avoid separation of key stages giving rise to different attitudes and ethos.
    Best wishes try and take the long view,
    P

4. It happened at Trinity School, Leamington Spa. KS3 and KS5 at the old Bishop Bright Grammar site and the Dormer (High) School site was KS4. Utter chaos, reduced curriculum time, millions spent on travelling and buses. Despite the Key Stage split, we ended up bussing kids from one site to the other between every lesson!
    Huge staff losses (the year I left I think 30 left). Masive staff absences due to stress. All now on one site (the old Grammar). School doing very well.
    If you are facing this, get out if you can, as soon as you can.

5. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

Agree with FluffyKat. It happened at Bognor Regis and the turn over of staff was huge, 47 in three terms. Expected to use your car to commute from one site to another. Often no parking space at other venue so had to park blocking another car. Half way through lesson had to move car etc. A nightmare and I left.

6. Its dreadful. I was promised that all my lessons for the day would be in one site. They were unless I had a PPA or COL DEV then I spent all my free lessons travelling. NO time to do anything sometime not even to eat.

7. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Years ago, hen I was young & enthusiastic, I worked at a split site school - one year, on Wednesdays, I commuted (by car) 4 times before lunch...don't recommend it!