1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Split contract??

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Jojomoo, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Jojomoo

Jojomoo New commenter

Just wondering does anyone else have a split level of pay BUT on the same job description?
    This refers to HLTA where they are wanting to pay 15hrs@ middle band level 4 and 15hrs Lower band level 4 as they are saying half the hours I’m planning/directing the teaching and the other half it’s teacher directed!
    Any advice please?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

How nitpicking can an employer be to want to do that to someone!

Have you asked your union?

I suspect the legal answer is that they can offer an HLTA whatever pay rates they want to and you either accept it or go elsewhere. HLTA pay rates are not decided nationally and schools are free to pay what they like.

Is this an academy or an LA maintained school?

3. install

install Star commenter

Union. Start looking elsewhere if shenanigans are going on with pay bands.

4. Jojomoo

Jojomoo New commenter

We are an Academy !!

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I might be wrong, but I don't know of rules about what HLTAs should be paid. Even teachers just have pay ranges. So, they can offer whatever they like and you have to decide if you are prepared to accept it.

If this is a new job offer, then you are being offered a total package worth the average of the two amounts they mention. I can see no problem with this as a principle; if you think it is not enough, you can try to negotiate more. Or are you already working there, in which case the issue becomes more complicated because it means changing your contract. If so, definitely ask your union.