1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spitting

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by billygoat, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Had a pupil spit in my face because i had put him in detention on Friday! I immediately rang the police, keeping the pupil in the room with another member of staff to complete the detention unaware of my call. The police where great and responded as an emergency. Pupil hand cuffed and led away. The point of the post really is because of a comment made that i had over reacted and that the pupil would end up with a criminal conviction (court on the 6th Dec) and not receive the help that he really needed! What are your thoughts? Mine are that some need to learn the hard way. If someone did that to me outside of school i would of leathered them.

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

That's fantastic. I'd support you all the way. I get fed up with bad behaviour being excused, rewarded and ignored.

3. You have made the call due to what you think was best....
    If <u>you</u> take it assault and are willing to stand up in court, have him fined/sentenced to community service (assuming no significant previous) then have to deal with him afterwards on his return to class, then fair play to you.... others in the class/school may then see you have set your bar OR could see it as weakness and reason to push you further? I presume you think the former else would not have proceeded....
    Good luck, hope that you're not disappointed with the case outcome - though I think you could be...

4. I agree in principle, though sadly in practice things rarely end up all hunky dory as a result....

5. What is the school doing?
    Has he been excluded?

6. A sensible, reasonable course of action I'd hope most teachers would consider.
    Good. As they should. Nice to hear of the police doing their job well.
    Who said that? Where and when? Either they are joking - or a ****!! Either way best ignored.

7. [​IMG]
    Although, what you did was so obviously the right thing to do, (as no one has disagreed on this thread) - I wonder how many teachers would consider doing the same?
    I would do the same - my students know this - so it wouldn't happen to me!

8. afterdark

afterdark Occasional commenter

I find this the most disturbing aspect about responses to this type of thing.
    It is assault in the eyes of the law. <u>It is not a personal choice</u>. If someone spits in your face it is a common assault. Not Grevious but assault still the same.
    You, Miss Pious, may choose not report it to the police if someone assaults you but in that case I would say to you ... more fool you.
    Have you heard of catch 22?

9. Hi after i rang the police i went to the office to let the pupils mum know of what had happened. It was then that i let the head know that i had rang the police. He fully supported me. Pupils mum did not feel the same way though lol! She could not understand that spitting in someones face could result in an arrest, when i let her know that i would push for it.

Have to say i thought that the police where excellent. The pupil involved is well known to the police, been arrested 3 times in the last 3 weeks. We have a no exclusion policy at school so he was right back after the weekend. I had no problems in dealing with meeting the challenge with pupils such as this and have to say i had the best lesson from the pupil on his first day back in.

10. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

Can't help wondering just where you WOULD draw the line?!

11. My own boundaries are based on the establishment that I work in tbh...all things being relative...
    Personally, I think this matter should be <u>well</u> dealt with by the school/management....
    The issue with reporting a minor to the police for such matters is that you criminalise (without knowing anymore about the student's background) for what could have been an horrific blip... the consequences of this potentially are far reaching than perhaps in an ideal world would be... this is not condoning the student's actions I add....
    Equally, I am not sure what the teacher genuinely hopes to achieve, but experience of teachers that have taken this action is this usually backfires in a big way...

12. When I was little and bit someone my mum bit me. Something to chew on perhaps? (no pun intended).

13. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

As the OP has already said, the school has a no exclusion policy. At least this way the charmless oik will have some idea that their actions can have serious consequences.

14. Hi rihlana but I dont think i deserve a well done, i just did what i thought had to be
    done. The pupil is now in the middle of a stint in a youth offending
    institute. This is because of assault charges against me and another teacher. What will the pupil gain from this? Hopefully he will realise that he cant go around spitting and throwing chairs at staff.

15. Lovely to hear it, and you deserve a WELL DONE for standig up against these disgusting yobs and the silly rules and policies that protect them. Teachers, too, need protection from such behaviour. in what other job (OK....apart from psychiatric hospital perhaps, but there they are ILL) do you have to put up with being spat at and the offenders face no consequences? I think if more people like you stod up to the silly notion that such offenders waltz away with no serious consequences , schools would be a better place.Next time any spitting takes place I'll follow suit!

16. Thanks but the problem rises with the adults that work with this type of pupil. Chance after chance is given with the line in the sand ever shifting. No wonder kids are confused! How far should we allow behaviour to spiral out of control before taking a stand? Some will not agree but i have no guilty conscious of having this pupil dealt with in this manner. Would do the same tomorrow but i don't think others will follow suite

17. I have worked in prisons, YOI and some of the most challenging schools in the country. I had a great sleep thanks!

18. I agree in principle, though sadly in practice things rarely end up all hunky dory as a result

Yes, that's what I've usually found too. It's often a liability being in the right... usually because there are so few people... staff OR students... who'll back you up. Staff just want to keep out of it, & whatever the apologists for youth say, most kids back their own.

19. good job billigoat backs himselfup then, since no-one else seems to be prepared to stand by him when he is being abused. time more teachers stood up against it. What are teachers/ doormats? punch bags? spittoons? If you look at other country's cultures, you will find that in most , teachers are highly respected individuals, and no pupil would get away with disrespecting or even abusing a teacher. tha't is how it should be. and it will not be achieved by allowing yobs to mistreat those that are kind enough to teach the.

20. afterdark

afterdark Occasional commenter

Schools are not police stations, it is not for schools to meddle in the law.
    Ah... the bad managers gambit... it must the staff's fault when the student chooses to go too far and break the law.
    "inappropriate" you mean <u>illegal</u>...
    I do hope you stop posting drivel soon.