1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spilt cream on my carpet and now it smells. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lardylady, Apr 21, 2011.

1. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I spilt a carton of double cream on my carpet a couple of days ago. I've treated it with carpet cleaner, whcih didn't really do much to take the smell away. I've bought some carpet deodouriser stuff in powder form, and I've sprinkled it about etc but the vague smell of sour milk is still hanging about.I'm going to borrow my sister's steam cleaner tomorrow, but if that fails, what else can I try?

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Dab the area with a little diluted baking powder.
    Hopefully that'll shift the smell!

3. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Thanks! I'll give that a go [​IMG]

4. sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on it, leave overnight, then clean off with sponge and water.

5. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Do you know anyone with a Vax carpet cleaner you could borrow? Or does your local Morrisons hire out rug doctor machines? They're not that expensive to hire and do a good job.

6. Move

The only possible answer is to

Move

7. Try a solution of bio washing powder. When that has dried use diluted zoflora.

8. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

You mean you got to it before the cat did? :)

9. I'm sorry, but it has to be asked: how come you spilled a carton of double cream on your carpet??

10. Have you tried Febreeze spray? I kid you not, it worked when my mum had a slight "accident" in her house and her carpets stank of urine. I was sceptical but after spraying the spot a few times over a few days, the smell eventually disappeared.

11. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Oh, he got there alright! I had to tempt him away with some chicken!

12. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I was bringing the shopping in, and my bag split. The cream fell out and just splattered everywhere. Serves me right for not using a bag for life!
    Thanks for all the advice, although I think moving is a bit drastic!

13. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Bi carbonate of soda will remove smells of milk or cream (and vomit too). Sprinkle on dry liberally and leave a few days. You can get it from some supermarkets where the baking ingredients hang out... it is one of the two ingredients in baking powder. The one that deals with smells.

14. Just to add a chemist's support for bicarb to get rid of many smells of animal origin (including vomit, thanks to my son coming into my bedroom when feeling unwell and chucking up copiously on the carpet). Most of these smells are due to volatile acids, these compounds react with the sodium bicarbonate to form a sodium salt which is not volatile and so doesn't smell.