1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spies and mystery planning

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by choralsongster, Dec 29, 2010.

1. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Hi
    My class have asked to have a mystery week (a la Scooby Doo I'm assuming), but not quite sure how to do this. I thought I might do a few science experiments to solve a mystery, with the children acting as spies.
    Has anyone done such a thing, or have any good ideas/resources? Anything gratefully received. katherine.rayner@sathyasaischool.org.uk

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Invisible writing was a huge success with my class. From using lemon juice which appears like magic when heated to pens (got mine from WHS) with a little ultraviolet torch to reveal what had been written.
    I also bought a safe money box with a code pad combination lock that could be changed and challenged the children to open it to find the secret clues (gave them the four digits which they had to rearrange before trying to open the safe)
    Lots of dark glasses and old mobile phones in role play.

3. We linked our 'spy' stuff into Incy Wincey Spyder! The kids absolutely loved when members of staff dressed up in disguises and paraded around with numbers on and the children had to guess who was behind the disguise and which number was who. We left the disguises out in a 'disguises shop' and they had great fun dressing and wandering around with numbers on!
    Incy Wincey set them challenges each week to solve involving a nursery rhyme character e.g Why did Jack and Jill fall down the hill and they explore different forces etc.