1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spiders!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by julia pearl, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Of course you will be reciting Incy Wincy. I make a sequential book that the kids illustrate. With the book they make a puppet - a spider that goes up and down the spout (a cardboard tube) . i think the idea is on a website called Golden tIme.
    For an international theme there's the Christmas spider common in W Australia and the story that accompanies it that actually comes from eastern Europe. Then there's venomous spiders and friendly spiders that eat other insects eg mosquitoes and the like.

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Think big - I made a huge spider with rolled up newpaper legs and a body made of papier mache over balloons. It was a collaborative effort and I mounted it on a big web made of string. it's been up ages, too long really, but the children still say 'Oooh!' when they come in and see it.

3. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

I love it! Thanks all. Found a fab book called aaaargghh spider too! [​IMG]

4. I'd start with real spiders either in a fish tank (lid firmly attached) or better still let the children find their own outside and catch in pooter pots which is always exciting. They could then go on to do any of the things mentioned before - I really like Msz's spider web idea.

5. You could make a friendship web (depending on the age of the children and size of the group), showing that all children are part of the friendship group in your class. Start with a ball of string, and children sitting in a circle on chairs. One child has the string and says the name of another, then rolls the string across to them. This is repeated until every child is holding a part of the same thread, showing a web across the middle. This worked with my Y1/2 class last year but haven't yet tried it with Rec! However...the children would then need to do something that shows independent thinking and learning, rather than the whole lesson being adult directed, especially if you are being observed...or try it out the week before, then leave the resources out for the children to initiate their own making of the web - that way they can explain to the inspector what they are doing and why!

6. My class love this book. It led to some excellent discussions on feelings and facial expressions in circle time (along with Little Miss Muffet) and the children fairly much learned the text, which was great for repeated refrains.
    But mostly we had a lot of fun pushing plastic spiders up and down cardboard tubes, and washing them down drainpipes with buckets of water outdoors.

7. The friendship web - we sit in a large circle and roll a ball of wool from one person to another, then tape the wool down with masking tape. We start with a sentence like "I like ... because.." and then roll the wool to the person mentioned. I model this initially choosing a child who may not be first to be chosen.

8. Also go to the ercic carle website for some excellent art ideas

9. T34

T34 Lead commenter

Perhaps best to check first that none of the inspectors are spiderphobes?
    Spiders can raise rather strong reactions.

10. Isn't this about the kids + their learning, not the inspectors and their hang ups?

11. sadika

sadika New commenter

What a GREAT idea! An Ofsted person being a phobic - get your own back time!!! On our first inspection years ago I was "doing" minibeasts with Y2 - that morning I was worm hunting and had found some lovely ones on the car park (it had been raining) - at that point the chief inspector drove up and right before my eyes ran over and squashed the worm I was about to pick up and use as a starter stimulus for the lesson - I knew then we weren't going to get on - how true it proved to be!!

12. Great - get the inspectors out of your class even faster!

13. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Does it matter ... the lesson is for the children not the inspectors and they should be professional enough not to show fear to the class.

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

PVA glue is brilliant for spiders' webs if you have icing pipers or something similar to hand.

Little children tend to be fascinated with spiders and, if you tell them lots of interesting facts, they love spider topics.