1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spicy food

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Mar 27, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So Lanokia just made Patas Bravas and put in a teaspoon of diced chilli and then put in a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.

Lanokia has now been banned from spicing the food and will be monitored from this point on.

A year ago I made Chicken/Chorizo with Rice and I chopped up four scotch bonnet chillis... yeah.

Later on I took out my contact lenses... yeah...

So ... how are you with spicy hot food? Is it always your choice or do you avoid it like the plague.

asnac and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

There's no point making something so hot you can't taste anything else but I like a bit of chilli.

3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I go for the upper end of spiciness when eating curries - like the 5 chilli 'Flaming Dragon' at Wetherspoons. I buy 'Hot' curry powder and even though the meal is for me alone,a good third of the powder (can be half) goes in!

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I have grown to like spicy food very much, but my sweetheart doesn't get on with chilli when I cook with it. She often buys fresh chillis to add to her own cooking though.

It's hard to imagine that I never had anything spicy for the first third of my life.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I eat raw chillies.
    Love spicy food.

6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I like a light hand with spices.
    Enough to flavour but not enough to overwhelm

SleighBelle and lindenlea like this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Used to get invited to meals at Eid and the Bangladeshi food was frequently lightly spiced and i was told that Asian people did not agree with the use of the very hot spices favoured by some non Asian folk. Too much heat completely masks any flavour for me.

8. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Same as Didactylos. Dinner tonight was a Spanish beef stew, with chorizo, cumin, chilli flakes and smoked paprika. Just enough to feel the heat.

lanokia likes this.
  9. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

You are wild and reckless!

10. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I have an amusing story about the aforementioned chilli. A group of friends visited a delightful Caribbean restaurant in Huddersfield a few years ago. 'One' of the group decided to go for the most innocent sounding starter - the chicken soup. The restaurant had ambient lighting (read, dark) and 'one' of the group was wearing their glasses for the first time, so they were finding things a bit fuzzy. Anyway, the soup was going down delightfully - nom, nom, nom. Big chunks of chicken, leak, sweet potato etc. A big bit of greenstuff was the only thing left - nom, nom, nom. That was delicious the friend declared...approximately thirty seconds later the friend mused on the slight tingling sensation upon their tongue. Within the minute the slight tingling became more of a prickling and started to spread. Within two minutes the friend thought that passing out might be the way forwards. After four minutes, the friend wondered if a trip to A&E wouldn't be out of the question. By the time five minutes had passed the friend was pondering upon death being the only solution.

Rest of group were particularly useless. Laughter the best medicine - my ****

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm currently growing my own batch of 20 Scotch Bonnets - the first couple of shoots have already emerged. I've also grown Habaneros in the past so it's fair to say I like proper chilli. Consequently most of the restaurant dishes I see advertised as 'very hot' don't have me running for the nearest cold water tap like a Beano character.

Actually, as a point of trivia, the best antidote to the effects of hot chilli (which is oily not watery) is a cream-based product like yoghurt. Water-based drinks like beer don't do it.

How about this - does anyone else out there get chilli flashbacks whenever chillies get mentioned, or if they see someone eating a really hot one on YouTube for a dare? I do. As I write I can feel the top of my head warming up as if I've eaten a mild one (no, the house isn't on fire), and with the YouTube videos I've literally broken sweat in sympathy. It's the weirdest psychosomatic thing I've ever experienced - maybe a form of gastronomic PTSD. Anyone else out there, or am I the only nutter?

12. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I made a hot chilli this weekend and must have rubbed the seeds into my fingers because they were on fire for hours afterwards.

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I like spicy food, fairly hot, but not so much that it just tastes of "hot". I am still using frozen habaneros and scotch bonnets that I grew and now one of the scotch bonnet plants on the kitchen windowsill has a few small peppers on it, so I may have become self sufficient in chilies - hurrah!

These are my favourite two as they add flavour as well as heat. Mrs. M. now likes chilli more than when she first met me but has a preference level below mine, having said that I think it's about the flavour as much as the heat. The curries I cook that go down best are the flavoursome ones that I thought would be too hot for her.

Every now and then I get a proper hot experience by making an Asian inspired fish soup that I love.

14. Alceanne

Alceanne Occasional commenter

I got into a chilli eating contest at Sweeney Todds in York - 25+ years ago now but I can still feel my mouth tingle at the memory even now. I won, but the skin peeled off the inside of my mouth the next day - in retrospect, not sensible!

I get weird cross-sense memories though. My primary school burned down, and our house backed onto it. So , not only did I watch it burn, with very mixed feelings but the whole area was wrapped in the smell for days. 'Billy, don't be a hero' was in the charts and to this day, if I hear it or hum it I smell smoke, and vice versa. And that was early 70's!!

15. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

Because I so often forget not to touch my eye (or my nostril though I know fingers shouldn't go there) I put a disposable glove on my left hand when chopping chillies.

16. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Chilli Stories...

1. Mum made a Saag Aloo from a recipe book once. It required green chillies. In the middle of cooking it, she answered a phone call which lasted about 20mins. At this point she realised the time started to prepare the spinach, but forgot she had already put the chopped green chillies in the same bowl (they were at the bottom of the bowl with spinach on top). So she chopped up a second lot.

There were only two choices at meal times- either eat it or starve. So we ate it.

It was very painful. Even our ears were sweating.

2. I was in Berlin and missing curry. I ordered the most flavoursome sounding dish on the menu in an Indian restaurant. I was using my rather rubbish German to order. Anyway, on tasting the dish, there was NO chilli in it at all. I looked through the small pocket book and tried to find the correct words- nothing. At this point, I was exasperated and said out loud " What happened? Did chillies do runner?" To which the waiter, replied in a broad Lancastrian accent- " You should have said you were English." I did get a raw chilli to spice it up, so not all lost.

SSS

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  17. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I'm making biryani and chana dal and some chapati and some hot yoghurty sauce. Yum yum yum.

Mustn't rub face with hands.

lanokia likes this.
  18. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I usually prefer 'bland' food.

:D

19. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

mild spice is fine by me. not a fan of chillies, but i like curry. i don't have it very often but when i do, i know all about it.

20. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I like to know when I have had a curry. I am very disappointed if it is more like stew. I don't mind if it is spicy rather than hot. Too much chilli can wipe out all other flavour but I have worked on building up our tolerance because some dishes work better with a bit more heat.