1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spices not sauces

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Jan 31, 2012.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

[​IMG]

<ul id="photoGalleryPagination" class="clearfix"><li class="previousButton">
    [​IMG]
    <li class="count">9 of 11<li class="nextButton">
    [​IMG]
    [/LIST]
    <h3 id="photoTitle">Switch from Sauces to Spices </h3>
    Opting for cayenne pepper over
    ketchup, or a chili powder rub over BBQ sauce, can do wonders for weight
    loss. "Spices work with the body naturally, whereas sauces can work
    against it," says Ashley Koff, RD, award winning dietitian and co-author
    of "Mom Energy." Sauces deliver a bummer triple whammy: They typically
    have too much sodium, sugar, and artificial ingredients. Spices, on the
    other hand, help you burn fat from within.

"They warm you on the inside, and they can act as a metabolic aid,
    fight bad bacteria, and cleanse the body," says Koff. In a recent Purdue
    study, researchers found that when red cayenne pepper was eaten, rather
    than taken as a supplement, participants burned more calories.

Add it to egg whites, lamb kabobs, marinara sauce, or chicken tacos. You
    won't even miss the old stuff, says Koff. "Sauces typically cover the
    taste of food, but spices enhance it."

Found that on the internet, OK so it's American, but I do think they are getting at those people who douse everything in ketchup!

http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/10-ways-to-drop-5-pounds/p101012/page9

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

What about a home-made sauce that uses spices? I'm doing a simple tomato and chilli sauce for pasta - is that 'good' or 'bad'?
    I suppose it counts as 'good' - there are no artifical ingredients.... half a pinch of salt possibly just a smidin of sugar...and lots of chilli.
    Can I still use the peri-peri sauce I bought at the farm shop? (I'll check the ingredients later for additives!)
    And as for ketchup...yes, my homemade burgers are tasty, but I will still add a splodge of Heinz! Especially as I no longer have the slice of cheese! And surely the cheese is more likely to cause weight gain than ketchup? (or as this was an American article, should that be 'catsup'?)
    I am all for cooking with spices - and fresh herbs too. They add wonderful flavours. But I am not giving up completely on sauces!

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I do think the article refers to bought ketchup and BBQ sauce chucked over every meal Bethannie. The only sauces I serve here are ones I've made, so the occasional splodge of ketchup is fine, just not at every meal.

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

But how would Mr EG drown of out the taste of my horrible cooking?! (Sorry - I have my own agenda there!)