1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spending Phase Budget-What would you buy for Year 1? Suggestions please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by michie_49, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    Just hoping I could pick some brains. Our phase budgets have been unfrozen and have to be spent before the end of the month. I have got a few hundred pounds to spend for my class and still being relitivly new to teaching have no idea where to start. I have never had money to spend at school-have always made do or stupidly spent my own. So I wondered what you would consider essential stuff for a year 1 class? Or things you couldnt live without? Or if given the chance what you would buy? Im imagining this wont happend again so want to make the most of it!
    Thanks for your time and ideas in advance.

2. Hi there,
    Just hoping I could pick some brains. Our phase budgets have been unfrozen and have to be spent before the end of the month. I have got a few hundred pounds to spend for my class and still being relitivly new to teaching have no idea where to start. I have never had money to spend at school-have always made do or stupidly spent my own. So I wondered what you would consider essential stuff for a year 1 class? Or things you couldnt live without? Or if given the chance what you would buy? Im imagining this wont happend again so want to make the most of it!
    Thanks for your time and ideas in advance.

3. I wasn't sure when I was new either, but I got a pack of 5 H, T and U brightly coloured plastic flip charts and they are always out on my numeracy table. The children use them all the time when doing maths work and independently. I also got a giant purse and giant magnetic money and it has been invaluable when teaching money. It's great for modelling during whole-class teaching and then I leave it out for them to explore and they love it. These things were only about £25 each, but have been the things I have used the most so far...and our Y2 teacher has borrowed them both too.

Oh, also ticker counters from Staples...only about a fiver each but they reinforce HTU too. I have them out to record things all the time. Even skips at play time.

4. sounds great. Thanks for ideas but whats a ticker counter?

5. Numicon every time. Such a great visual maths resource which can be used for the whole class, or children who struggle. Definitely worth the money. Our children love it and it has been so helpful. Our Year 1 use it with the whole class, which would cost quite a bit, but even one box with extra boards would make a huge difference to groups of children, which is how you might be working.

6. Thanks, just been looking at them. I had seen them before in other schools but never really knew what they were. They look great-might suggest them to the numeracy cordinator aswell.

7. books, books and books!
    board games to encourage sharing and group work
    role play - masks, costumes, props

8. comenius

comenius New commenter

Things to create small worlds - wood blocks, stones, gems, figures, animals, feathers, gravel, logs, natural matting, moss......the list is endless - look in TTS.

9. easi-speak microphones? flip video camera? dressing up clothes? TTS is a great idea by PP

10. Hi , IMy name is Lalita Hedges and I work within TTS as part of the Early Years Team,
    If you need to ask anything, relating to TTS items please feel free to ask for help. Not only do we have the resources being recommended by others , but we can also give help and advice on how to link them into role play activity, speaking and listening and other curriculum areas.
    Check out our web site for products. www.tts-group.co.uk. but for practical help feel free to ring direct . I am on 07538 579 393.
    Regards Lalita