1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spending a fortune on your class?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anndean, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Is it just me or is anyone else spending so much on their class? I've bought pencils, crayons, stickers and playdough for my class already and I know I'll be buying so much more as the year goes on.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Last year's 'my' pens become this year's 'very special use as a real treat pens'. And last year's 'very special, use as a real treat' pens go into the writing box for semi special reward use. Those from last year's writing box go into a general drawer of writing pens for use whenever, but they are quite naff after a year in the writing box.

3. Can I have an application for the savings account you are using please! That is some interest rate you have!

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

It actually angers me to read about people spending large amounts of their own money on their classrooms. Fair enough, it's your money; it's not for me to tell you what to do with it, but you're not doing anyone any favours at all.
    Quite simply, it completely distorts the figures with regards to the running costs of a school. How can we complain about falling budgets if we're giving the impression that it costs less than it does to equip a classroom, by buying much of that equipment ourselves out of our own pocket? Effectively just handing some of your salary back to the local authority. Why not just save yourselves the bother of trawling stationery shops etc by just offering to take a pay cut?
    It strikes me that we sometimes feel that as teachers, we are so sickeningly "in it for the children" that we feel it as our duty to hand some of our hard-earned salaries straight back, just to prove what martyrs to the cause we are. The idea is totally ludicrous.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Because then I wouldn't get the fun of shopping for all sorts of things! Had a great time browsing the shelves in sainsbugs today, but one get one free on back to school stationery.

Sheeesh! I LIKE shopping for classroom stuff. And I prefer to have my own that I can take from class to class and school to school.

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

In my first year, I went mad and bought loads of stuff! Including lots of picture books. But then I got moved key stages and most of it became useless! So then I decided not to buy anything else if I could avoid it. I do buy some bits and bobs, but try not to get carried away anymore. Specially as often the kids don't even notice anyway! (I bought something like a tenners worth of playdough for my year 6 pupils to make models, and asked them to try not to mix the colours so it could be given to early years, at the end of the lesson, I was handed a massive mottled grey, red, blue, yellow, green brown blob of playdough! Was soooo annoyed!)

However, am going back into ks1 now so hurrah! Picture books will be useful again!

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

That post is absolutely spot on, and I agree with every word, especially the bit about distorting the figures. If lovely kind little smiley happy sparkly teachers spend hundreds of pounds equipping classrooms and not claiming it back the school will simply cut their curriculum budget accordingly. My school has everything pared to the bone, we were not allowed any new pencils after Easter, the kids were left writing with tiny stubs at the end of term. However, all the staff have, by common consent, vowed to claim for every penny spent on school stuff. We ALWAYS keep receipts and always hand them in, for even the smallest item, e.g. batteries for class camera. This is the only way the finance people can see how much it actually costs to run the school.

8. johnberyl

johnberyl Occasional commenter

Compound interest! [​IMG]