1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spellings - sent home to learn?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emeadows, Sep 12, 2019.

1. emeadows

emeadows New commenter

Does your school send home spellings to learn on a weekly basis? Our school does not as it considers that rote learning for a test does not result in those words being retained in the long term so no spellings are sent home. Your thoughts please?

Sally006 likes this.
  2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

We have a spelling lesson each Monday and then send lists of spellings home to learn. Spellings are tested on Fridays. Almost all pupils retain the spelling patterns long term and use them appropriately in their unaided written work. Spelling ability is generally good throughout the school.

emeadows and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Just sending a list home doesn't work for most kids. They need to have a lesson on the actual spelling rule as bonxie said.You could send them home in a different form, sentences, dictionary exercise, finding the meanings, close procedure etc.

emeadows likes this.
  4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

When the spellings are linked to a letter pattern and the pattern and spellings are practised in joined up writing they become embedded in the memory and ‘muscle memory’.
    We would have a lesson focusing on the letter pattern. The children would take home sheets to practise the spellings - ‘look, cover, write, check.’
    There would be a spelling test the next week.
    Charles Cripps approach in his books ‘A Hand for Spelling’ is, in my opinion, excellent.

Sally006 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

My thoughts? What an excellent school!

We stopped sending home spellings a year ago and no noticeable difference to children's spelling ability.
    Parents very happy indeed.

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

In our Y6, grammar and spelling are woven into almost everything - but both are also taught discretely. Spelling is taught on a Thursday and the children have 10 spellings to learn over the weekend, which are tested on a Monday. Those who don't achieve 8 or more (and there are always several who will never do this) are re-tested later in the week and expected to improve their scores by at least 2. Most of them quite enjoy this; even the struggling spellers are motivated to try and improve. We have a lunchtime spelling club (optional) on the day of the re-test when they practise and test each other.
    Overall, our spelling is pretty good.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Arrghh!!
    Year 3. Been given 65 spellings on Monday to learn by today!!
    Suffixes. But many of the words had specific rules - apparently the rules hadn't been taught. e.g. skip. skips. skipping. skipped. skipper.
    Didn't do it. Wonder how the spelling test will go?

8. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

I hope that number is a typo - it would be a ridiculous task otherwise.

9. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

65 certainly would be ridiculous!!!! I think even 20 is far too many - that's why we do 10 a week, which is manageable for most Year 6s. I'd be inclined to go for 5 for Year 3.

10. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

My HA Y6 group have 15 per week. We spend 10 minutes looking at patterns and discussing the most likely misspelling of each word.

65 words seems utterly ridiculous :eek:

11. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Yep. 65!!
    13 words with all possible suffixes for each word. No advice given about rules for ending in es and s. e.g reach/reaches. No advice given about doubling up p for turning skip into skipping.
    There was then going to be a random test. However, child doesn't know what was in the test or how child performed. So child hasn't been traumatized by it all. :D Not sure what was actually gained though.
    Next week it's prefixes.