1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spellings - No nonsense or not?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jayman, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Jayman

Jayman New commenter

Hi,

I have decided to try and tackle spellings across or school.
    I have looked at a number of different spelling programs and I am currently in favour of No Nonsense spellings due to the way it is structured and how relatively inexpensive it is!

I was wondering if anyone has been using this and what you think of it?

looking forward to your responses,

Jay

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you want to tackle spellings across the school, you need to start in reception, not year 2.
    No Nonsense Spelling only starts with year 2.

If you have brilliant phonics teaching in Rec-Yr2, you won't have a spelling problem in KS2. Tackle the phonics teaching.

crikcrok, Pomz, digoryvenn and 3 others like this.
  3. Jayman

Jayman New commenter

Ok Caterpillartobutterfly,

I feel there is a big problem with only using phonics as way of teaching spellings.

I have chn that are spelling words phonetically correctly but are not actually spelling the word correctly.
    This is a problem as to be working at in Year 2 chn have to be able to spell words correctly.

Phonics is great as away of getting chn introduced to the sounds but further up the school chn need a different approach.

I do realise No nonsense spelling only starts from Year 2.

Do you or your school use the program? As I was asking for people to comment with what they think of the scheme.

majabrat, lardylady and pepper5 like this.
  4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If they are spelling words phonetically they are nearly there but do need to be taught to use the correct alternatives.
    Has their phonetically plausible spelling ever been corrected by the reception and Y1 teachers? "Well done those are the sounds but can you think of another way to spell the sound ....? in this word we spell the sound this way.Now can you correct the word? Well done!"
    It's very important that the are corrected and not allowed to see and write the incorrectly as this will become fixed in their memory.

Pomz likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I agree that phonics isn't the only way and didn't say at any stage that children shouldn't spell words correctly. Spelling phonetically and spelling correctly are not mutually exclusive.

6. Jayman

Jayman New commenter

So has anyone used no nonsense spelling?

7. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

We had a look at it, but our spelling isn't bad enough to warrant 20 minutes spelling every day on top of reading, writing, maths, PE, handwriting etc.

It is a very thorough scheme though.

Jayman likes this.
  8. Jayman

Jayman New commenter

I don't believe it is 20 mins a day.
    You can complete 15 minutes 3 times a week.
    I just feel it will give us an alternative strategy to phonics.
    But, I do not want to just buy into it without having heard what other schools think of it.
    Or if anyone uses a better scheme (that is also cost effective!)

9. fennysnake

fennysnake New commenter

I have used it. The school started to use it mid year and so I did 20 mins a day as an intensive catch up, and it did have a significant impact. Doing other schemes, or planning my own scheme might have had the same effect but the main plus is that it is so easy to use that there is no excuse not to do it.
    The children enjoyed it and visiting advisers liked the use of 'have a go' sheets.

Hope this is helpful.

Jayman likes this.
  10. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

We use it and I like it.

It does only start in year 2 so you need something in place to handle the phonics/spellings before then but there are several spelling patterns to learn after year 1. Suggesting good phonics teaching does the job for KS2 spelling patterns is rubbish.

I like the structure it provides. It is hassle free and one less thing to worry about when planning.

pepper5 and Jayman like this.
  11. mrcooldude

mrcooldude Occasional commenter

We use it as spelling is an issue in the school. In short, it's great. Very thorough and the children do improve from it.

pepper5 and Jayman like this.
  12. Jayman

Jayman New commenter

Thank you for all your feedback.

I have scheduled a rep to come in. I think it is a good way to go cost effective and will raise the profile of spellings across the school.

pepper5 likes this.
  13. teacher4673

teacher4673 New commenter

We use it in our school and we've found it is really effective.
    It is also one less thing to worry about in terms of planning which is always a good thing in terms of workload.

14. mrcooldude

mrcooldude Occasional commenter

As a heads up, if your school is really struggling with Spelling, I'd recommend teaching it EVERY DAY as opposed to three times a week. If you have a mixed class, start on one year group and work your way through until you have done all of both year groups.

15. FriedEggs

FriedEggs New commenter

We are using it from Y2 to Y5 (less so in Y6). I have used it in Y5 and now in Y3.

The structure follows on closely from the 'Support for Spelling' materials originally published under the National Literacy Strategy. It works out as 5 sessions across a fortnight, with each lasting around 15-20 minutes. They are whole class, and quite flexible.

I like that the resources focus on strategies for learning spelling, rather than memorising groups of words, and it covers the curriculum objectives well. There are also regular sessions to allow for teaching topic words and the word lists from the National Curriculum. There is also plenty of revision of work from previous years.

I do think that spelling needs to be taught discretely, and our children respond well to the lessons - very straight forward, with no gimmicks or workbooks.

Our children keep a spelling journal, and use the 'have a go' sheets in their books to try out spellings before they use them - this is really valuable as a teacher, because you can see the process.

Overall, at the cost I would do it for a year and measure the impact!

16. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

I loved no nonsense spellings. It was easy to follow and thorough. It fit perfectly with children who had had phonics in KS1 to build on their knowledge

17. GARDEN24

GARDEN24 New commenter

Our school has dropped phonics for year 2 and has daily spelling lessons for 20 minutes. The spelling quality overall is much improved by focussing on word families and patterns.

18. jojoincharge

jojoincharge New commenter

No nonsense is extremely supportive in having the same rigour and systematic approach to teaching of spelling as there is to the teaching if phonics.

19. jojoincharge

jojoincharge New commenter

No nonsense is extremely supportive in having the same rigour and systematic approach to teaching of spelling as there is to the teaching if phonics.

20. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I am not sure why anyone bothers trying to teach the 'correct version' when any variant of how any word is spelled ( or spelt) that is in common usage results in a new entry in the Oxford English Dictionary. So... all I have to do is get a book published using the phonetic encoding devised by Isaac Newton ( 1666 ?) or my own.
    The Neddyfonk fonetic dikshunary will soon becum the new standurd.