1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spellingcity.com - Can you use it?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sfm_81, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Hello, I've been reading some posts in here about spellings and have seen some people mention www.spellingcity.com - It's really good because the children can enter words that they want to spell and it create automatic tests for them and also helps them put the words into sentences. and it then reads them out. Great for spelling practise at home.

The problem is that it's an American site and therefore reads the words with an accent and offers very slight differences in the way sentences are organised, such as use of the word math instead of maths. DOES THIS MATTER? I want to use it for year 3 by telling them about the site in class and on our website so that they can use it at home and enter the spellings on there if they want. Do you think that the different phoneme sounds and stuff are going to make the parents complain? Alternatively, does anyone know of an English based site that offers the same service??

The site has loads of great word level games as well that I would love to use...

Any thoughts are most welcome! I've only been teaching for 6 months so don't kill me if it's something that you can obviously use!!!

Thank you.

2. Hello, I've been reading some posts in here about spellings and have seen some people mention www.spellingcity.com - It's really good because the children can enter words that they want to spell and it create automatic tests for them and also helps them put the words into sentences. and it then reads them out. Great for spelling practise at home.

The problem is that it's an American site and therefore reads the words with an accent and offers very slight differences in the way sentences are organised, such as use of the word math instead of maths. DOES THIS MATTER? I want to use it for year 3 by telling them about the site in class and on our website so that they can use it at home and enter the spellings on there if they want. Do you think that the different phoneme sounds and stuff are going to make the parents complain? Alternatively, does anyone know of an English based site that offers the same service??

The site has loads of great word level games as well that I would love to use...

Any thoughts are most welcome! I've only been teaching for 6 months so don't kill me if it's something that you can obviously use!!!

Thank you.

3. I'm a student teacher and can't give much advice myself other than to say that the class I'm currently on placement with use it to compliment the work they do in class and it appears to work very well. Certainly no complaints from the parents!

4. Hi
    I use Spelling City. I enter the spelling lists myself. It generates sentences with the spelling words in; you have an option to amend the sentences.
    I think it is a great resource!

5. Is it worth someone emailing them and telling them there's a big audience for what they're doing in the UK if they want to make a parallel version for British English spellings? Might be something they'd pick up on if it was brought to their attention - they've probably not even considered it.

6. Did anybody follow up the SpellingCity.com folk? I use the site and I've noticed that their support for English spellings is great.