1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spelling

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Chatterbox1607, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Chatterbox1607

Chatterbox1607 New commenter

I am looking for some advice from more experienced teachers please. I am currently teaching from the Jolly Phonics handbook 2 - p4 level. I give my children a list of spelling words to learn each week - how can I make this fun for them to learn. I give them a different task each week to do at home but how can I make it more fun to introduce the words in class? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

2. I've sometimes told them what the common link between the spelling words is -a particular sound, ending or prefix. I've then asked them to predict/guess the word hangman style. This gets them thinking about the focus that week and the spellings.
    For learning at home instead of giving a task I've given a sheet for the term with a range of tasks (including some active ones) and then they colour in and date when they did each.They get to choose which they do but have to do a variety.

3. Chatterbox1607

Chatterbox1607 New commenter

Hi there, yes its still the Jolly Phonics handbook two I use but I have added words to each of the rules. We look at tricky words and sounds. I also send differnt activities each week and after my initial input the children go back to their desks and test each other but I like the idea of the three stations and I will definitely begin this in term 3. Thank you very much :)

4. Try spellingcity.com - it's a great site. (It's subscription but some bits are free.)

5. I do spelling work in my mid-primary class every day for about 15 minutes with the whole class, with a spelling test on Fridays. I don't give written spelling work to do at home.
    On Mondays I introduce the 10 words/spelling patterns, plus a couple of challenge words, for the week, each printed on a card which I then blue-tack to the board at the front of the class. Each day there is a quick activity with the spelling pattern featured that week (not necessarily the exact spelling words). The word cards are usually visible for the activities, but never for the test.
    Some favourite activities:
    ---putting the spelling words in ABC order, or backwards ABC order....
    ---picking three spelling words at random and putting them all into a silly sentence, or writing a silly story with all the words
    ---making a word search with their spelling words. Yes, MAKING a word search. Children love to do this! Show them how to construct the puzzle on squared paper. They then give their word search to a partner to solve. Very addictive---they love to make word searches for dad and mum to solve!
    --spelling derby, in teams: pick a word from a hat, spell it correctly, and get a chance to toss a beanbag at a target for one point. Team with most points wins--stickers, computer time, etc.
    ---the QUIZ: given clues orally, children have to find the word on the board and copy it.
    ---word jumble: jumble the spelling words and have them write the words properly (I do this with the cards in sight to ensure that the words get spelled correctly)
    ---secret codes: show them how to make a simple code (number the letters of the alphabet), then put their spelling words into code for others to solve
    All these quick activities require children to look at the words and write them out, thus practising their spellings without even realising it. The idea is simply to give them as many chances as possible to see and write the words correctly during the week. Every few weeks, review the patterns already covered, to jog memories and build competence.

6. Interesting article about the work of an East Renfrewshire teacher-
    IT behind 'astounding' gains in spelling age - https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6139032

7. Impressive results for sure. I did wonder about this, though:
    There was a blip, however, in the 2008-09 P6 class, where the average rise in spelling age was only 9.3 months. This, she suggested, “can be explained by the absence of a pupil-support assistant one day a week”.
    This suggests that perhaps the impressive results are not due to the IT program itself, but rather to a combination of the IT method plus a lower adult-to-pupil ratio.
    I'd be interested to see a controlled experiment that allows comparison of results with and without the pupil support assistant, who appears from this "blip" to be a key factor in pupil success.

8. How to make spelling fun? The answer is simple: www.spellathon.net offers free animated spelling games for the classroom (and to practice at home) from KS1 and up. Let us know how you find it
    Best of luck!

9. Jennett - this sounds interesting, can you share an example of the sheet??? Either post on here, or message me.

10. Have you tried active spelling?
    If you have a look at my class page - click on the active spelling link
    or look at my response on the my homework page there are lots of ideas there.
    (The cards were borrowed from an upload to TES so can't take credit for them)
    Thanks

11. Get them up and moving. Outside or in a gym lesson place/hide the words. Diff colour cards for diff spelling group. They have to find cards remember spelling run back to their group table and write the spelling down. secret codes or hangman are good.