1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spelling tests????

Discussion in 'English' started by mashabell, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Good on u!
    Teaching spelling is far more sensible than to keep testing it.
    There are very few children that do not care about being able to spell well,
    but because it is so dependent on memorisation, many just can't cope.
    The 3700 words which require individual rote-learning
    http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com
    overwhelm their mnemonic abilities.

2. I think we need a code for this word to prevent spamming by the spelling troll. http://whelk-stall.blogspot.com

3. Oh, dear, here we go again with Masha's ridiculous assertion that memorising each and every word individually is the way children learn to spell.
    Masha, you do not teach spelling by individual rote learning. As eny fule kno.
    Maybe you could start by learning to spell the word you correctly yourself.

4. That is not true and I have never claimed that. Words which follow the main English spelling patterns (cat, mat,sat...confidential, substantial..) do not need to be learned individually,
    just those with variant spellings (plait; financial, commercial, controversial).

Sadly, a few patterns have so many exceptions
    (e.g. doubled consonants, ee, oo, o-e, schwa - or unstressed vowels, which occur mainly in the endings of longer words) have so many exceptions that they are not really patterns at all, and so the spellings for their sounds virtually have to be learned separately for each word.

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I live in hope. I see that Marsha has written 'I' instead if 'i', so there is hope that she will master 'you'.
    Masha, why do you keep posting here? It's a forum for English teachers and so posts about spelling are, 99% of the time, going to be in the context of teaching English in schools and colleges, making your posts irrelevant.

6. Masha, me old duck, just two days ago, you wrote:

''I won't intentionally apitalise i, except at the start of a sentence, ever again either.''

You wrote this on the thread started by your good self, here on this very forum.

Yet:

So now, you have defied yourself. Well done.

7. She's one sad lady. Anything negative in Britain is immediately related to the misguided spelling that English speakers are just too stupid to recognise. Unfortunately, she's dug herself in too deep and cannot accept any alternative explanation than spelling in Britain. She cannot give an opinion about illiteracy in Germany and Austria or illiteracy and spelling problems in Spain because she would be forced to admit that there must be another cause, so she pretends it isn't so.

8. To the OP. These are good fun and maybe you could have parents and children working together on their home computers:
    http://www.timesspellingbee.co.uk/Default.aspx

9. You are right. Spelling tests do not equal deep learning or help kids to commit words to long term memory. I think looking for words in a wordsearch is a good way of testing their knowledge, especially if you put in a couple of almost-correct red herrings. (Discovery Schools puzzle maker is an easy tool to use.)

Re Masha and her dog-with-a-bone approach to this forum... I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it frustrating to read the same old twoddle every time the 's' word is mentioned. Masha, you are one of the reasons I have visited this forum less that ten times in the last year.

10. Have you tried teaching spelling through active literacy games? I have used phoneme words to play snap, bingo, word dominoes, matchingetc. and have had very positive results. I actually used this method to teach reading but it would work equally well with spelling. I use it for basic reading and spelling then extend it to include vocabulary from the texts I am teaching and of course it can be used to teach blends etc. Hope this helps.

11. Spelling tests are good for primary school kids learning basic literacy, and they're also good for older pupils who are learning specific vocabularly such as poetic devices or whatever. They're not good week-in-week-out because that's 20 minutes a week you don't have to plan for.