1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spelling Test in Year 2 - good or bad idea?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Kimchi_Pickle, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Pretty sure I can remember doing Fat Sam when I was in Primary School. That's how I learned to spell sausage.

2. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

The Support for Spelling Guidance provides an overview of spelling patterns, prefixes and suffixes for each year from Y2 upwards, providing they are secure at least Phase 5 L&S.

3. The year 1 teachers start spellings halfway through the spring term. I think they usually learn between 4-8 spellings (depending on which group they are).

4. Hi
    I'm not a primary teacher but I do have a son in year 2 and hope that this helps
    He gets 8 spellings a week to learn grouped around letter patterns and phonic sounds (they are sent home in a booklet at the start of the term, and the dates that they will be tested on). He then gets tested on them on the same day each week. He has just told me that different groups get different spellings and that he likes learning his spellings and getting tested on them as he likes to get all of them right, if he doesn't get them right he does get a bit upset but it makes him want to get them right and I have known him come home and try them again.
    He 2 very long lists for the next couple of weeks to review all the spellings from last term and then its on to new lists and spellings
    As a teacher and a parent I would ask what is the point of sending spellings home to learn if you are not going to test them.

5. oops looks like his mum could do with some help
    should read
    He has 2 very long lists.....

6. Hannah_

Hannah_ New commenter

Thank you so much for all your ideas. I really appreciate it.
    My thoughts exactly - no point sending them home w/o doing something with them. Last few teachers never tested in Yr 2 so didn't want to come across too strict suddenly!
    Just wondered, if some chd. keep getting them wrong then what do you do?! Presumably you could end up with children at different stages of differentiated lists?!
    Fat Sam looks great :)

7. Hello. I am in my second year of teaching and in year two so by no means an expert. However we send home spellings for the chn to learn each week. We use the look, cover, spell check method with a sheet for the chn to practise them on, they are meant to do this every night and get a sticker for bringing the completed sheet back at the end of the week. They also practise them every morning in school before the bell goes. I test them every Friday and mostly the chn enjoy doing them however some do get upset if they do not do very well. I always feel a little sorry for those chn whose parents do not help them practice their spellings as these are always the chn who do not get many right. Must say though it does bug me when if ever we miss a spelling test one Friday for whatever reason and the parents all moan saying what was the point of learning them if they have not been tested. The point is so they can learn to spell!! The test is really just an incentive to encourage them to learn them as they get a sticker for getting them all right (we love our stickers!). So really it's up to you, you don't have to test the children to justify sending home spellings. That's my opinion anyway :)

8. We give 10 spellings each week to our Year 2s. We have 2 differentiated lists.
    In my class, however, I do have a few children who cannot cope with 10 spellings and so have between 1 and 4 spellings each week.
    When they are tested, the scores go home to parents.

9. U are spot on! U have to help children to learn to spell but u don't have to keep testing them. I have never come across anyone who does not want to learn to spell. Many find it very difficult, and some cover this up by pretending that they don't care, but pretty much all would rather spell well than badly.
    Some recent research in the US suggests that schools which merely teach spellings, but don't test it, achieve better results than those which do test. Spelling tests are great for naturally good spellers but horrible for everyone else.
    For teaching spelling, u might find my free website www.EnglishSpellingProblems.co.uk or my blog
    http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com/2009/12/rules-and-exceptions-of-english.html
    helpful.
    Teaching spellings in context is the best approach.

10. Is it really so difficult to write 'you'?

11. I teach Y1 and 2 and at my school we send home spellings from the beginning of Y1. I take the spellings from letters and sounds, giving each group a different spelling pattern from their phonics learning for that week. My top group get 8 spellings, then 6 for the next group, then 5 and then 4 for the LA.
    I just test them as a whole class on a Thursday morning and give rewards to children who get them all right (which even the lowers can do if they practice enough).