1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spelling support

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Colcol40, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Colcol40

Colcol40 New commenter

I would love to hear ideas people have for supporting weak spellers. I have some children on year 5 who read well but spelling is shocking. I really need to help them develop their spelling as it is detracting from their writing content. Any help or advice would be welcome

2. ks9aq

ks9aq New commenter

Have you tried Nessy?

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Teach them how to use a dictionary properly, spelling dictionaries are good. When writing tell them to mark a word they are not sure of but not to find the correct spelling until them have finished so they do not interrupt their flow.

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Charles Cripps A Hand for Spelling - an excellent approach (in my opinion) which links cursive handwriting, muscle memory and letter patterns. I think the books may be available second hand online.

Focus, too, on spelling correctly the high frequency words which don’t follow any patterns. Take just five at a time and focus on them until the competency comes. Practise writing them in joined writing and look for words within words - the hat in what etc.