1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spelling Revision

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Carolyne740, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Carolyne740

Carolyne740 New commenter

Could anyone suggest a spelling revision resources to help boost my children? have been teaching as per the NC and revising spelling rules 3/week but still the children are not applying to their work or remembering them when it comes to tests. Last test (a CGP one) almost half the children scored less than 10/20! And no one scored more than 15! Even worse ... 5 scored less than 2! (a kinder way of saying they only scored 1!)

Any revision resources / scheme etc would be much appreciated.

Only 10 weeks to go - need a divine miracle to help get better at spelling in time!

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Goodness knows! We have just had a mega test-all the year 5/6 statutory words and one of mine scored 18/104, several were in the 30's and even my best speller only managed 84. I'm thinking of just giving up and running away to join the circus!

TEA2111 likes this.
  3. mrsboo

mrsboo New commenter

Can I come too?! I have just highlighted all the things we either haven't covered in depth, need to revisit as it's too hard/confusing or that they have never covered in previous years in terms of SPAG....and I am panicking. It's only Feb. I foresee 10 weeks of uninspiring, hideous 'cramming'-type lessons. Poor kids...it bores me to tears, let alone them!!

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I'm not sure there's a magic wand with this. It's a bit like learning times tables. It's just a case of good old-fashioned rote learning and practice. Make sure they've always got the word list to hand, get them to practise any spare moments they have and even get parents involved. Have the words up in the classroom, stuck to their desks, inside their books. 10 minutes every day writing dictated sentences containing the words, then revisiting and correcting. Competitions and rewards for improving their scores each week. Anything you can think of to get them to sink in.

I agree with you, it is dull and uninspiring, not the way I'd like to teach but needs must in some cases.

I'm sure you're doing all these already but in the end, the children are the ones who will have to sit the test, so the responsibility has to be on them.