1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spelling programme linked to letters and sounds

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tattyted, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Hi
    Ive spent hours googling spelling schemes that link to letters and sounds have found very little. So I was wondering what other schools do regarding formal spelling tests for KS1.
    Any ideas woulkd be appreciated.

2. Hi
    Ive spent hours googling spelling schemes that link to letters and sounds have found very little. So I was wondering what other schools do regarding formal spelling tests for KS1.
    Any ideas woulkd be appreciated.

3. Support for Spelling is the government-sponsored teaching programme.
    There have been lenghty discussions about the forthcoming 40 word phonics test on here,
    half of which will nonsense words (and which is utterly insane IMO).

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I don't do formal spelling tests as in sending lists home to learn. I test the class on words containing the sounds we have worked on that week.

5. Just been on a course today - what about the lists of words given on the last page of each phase section in the 'letters and sounds' book?
    Also recommended to not give spelling list at start of week or sent home as you are testing the strategy/pattern NOT the list of words for the test. Parents tend to just focus on the list given and learn them rather than the actual particular phoneme.

6. megsie

megsie New commenter

'Spelling made easy' set of books (I think 4 levels) by Violet Brand, which uses phonics and is laid out in a clear sequence. A great resource with dictation and supplementary worksheets. not sure if it follows the exact pattern of letters and sounds though.

7. Is there a problem with the children learning how to spell a word?