1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spelling new words?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Allesley99, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Allesley99

Allesley99 New commenter

What do people think of children having a go at spelling a new word then having the correct word put in a 'spelling book' by the teacher for children to copy in to their writing books?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think the children should have a go then the teacher support the child to correct any incorrect spellings and record

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A reasonable strategy provided the new word adheres to an established spelling pattern or rule. This would be good for reinforcement.

If not (for words such as yacht, cough, etc.,) I believe the spelling should be given first.

4. Msz

So you don't think children could identify the correct spelling for the first and final sounds in yacht? Or the first and final sounds in cough? Teacher supplies the correct (unusual) spelling for the medial sound in each word ... Which is memorable because they are unusual.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Of course they can, but why let them consider that 'yot' may be a possibility in the first place?

6. Msz

I wouldn't ... I'd tell the child that the the /o/ has an odd spelling <ach> And I might explain that it's spelt that way because it's a Dutch word (jacht) if a child asked but they can do most of the work for themselves