1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spelling Interventions for Year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lauren1, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

Would anyone have any advice for a teacher at the end of their tether with teaching spelling?
    I'm taking my Y5s up to Y6 next year and am at my wits end with regards to strategies to make spelling patterns / rules etc stick. I do a daily lesson, put in different styles of tasks, have personal dictionaries etc but just can't seem to get my class to input these independently and reliably into their own writing. I have a nice class who enjoy Literacy but spelling appears to be the big Achilles heel for them.
    I've asked for help in my school as to resources / strategies that may work but so far drawn a loss. I've found that following NLS hasn't worked, nor has Letters and Sounds or Support for Spelling strategies. We also use SWST on the recommended timeframe too. What works in your school? I'm open to any advice where you've seen a difference.
    Help Please!

2. I'm not a primary teacher but maybe a short, daily dictation? Then put it up on the Smart board, swap papers and mark? I'd repeat the same one 2 days in a row. Collect them in, reward for the best. I did it in TEFL and it gets them paying attention to accuracy.

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I'm considering buying Get Spelling for home use. Trouble is it's another one of these things where you can't see what it does or how it does it until you've paid loads and then it's too late. Is it possible to describe it a little please so I can see if it would do the job or not?

4. Mystery10, get the 'Evaluation pack' for one copy of each of the Get Spelling resources:Teacher's Handbook / 3x Workbooks / Logbook
    There's a brochure to view on the RWI website.
    I think it's very thorough. The only thing I don't like about it are the suggestions for learning the 'red words' (HFW with irregular spellings).

5. If it wasn't for words with irregular spellings which I have listed at http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com
    no children would have the spelling difficulties which so many do.

I don't think dictation would be much use, unless your class is very homogenous.
    By Yr6 the spelling abilities of pupils tend to diverge very widely, from v good to incredibly poor, so it's impossible to help them all to improve in the same way.

6. You don't disappoint, do you, Masha [​IMG]

7. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

No Masha is extremely reliable, and consistency is a good thing - and desirable in spellings!![​IMG]

8. I'm sorry, Masha, but whenever you write I always think of that TV series 'I Claudius' where some woman went around saying repetitively, 'Woe, woe and thrice woe -is English spelling!', or something like that...

9. For many pupils it undoubtedly is. Their insecurities about spelling limit the vocabulary they use in writing, if they write much at all.
    My main point remains that by Y6 it is impossible to improve everyone's spelling by the same method because pupils vary so greatly in their ability to memorise spelling irregularities.

10. mashabell said:
    "Their insecurities about spelling limit the vocabulary they use in writing, if they write much at all. "

I have seen the opposite for children taught with an oral segmenting all-through-the-spoken-word approach and then selecting graphemes for the identified sounds. (This is an aspect of the synthetic phonics teaching principles.)
    I have found children to be hugely liberated to write and express themselves through this approach - to the level of their oral vocabulary in any event.
    The difficulty is when the spelling alternatives of a comprehensive alphabetic code are not taught thoroughly enough - and also that teachers are not trained to mark for spelling - on the contrary teachers are sometimes trained to NOT mark for spelling.

11. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

Thanks for some of the advice posted. I gathered that spelling abilities differ in a class, just as any other skill, so on that, to be more direct, I'm focussing on both a middle 'band' of children who've not secured spellings and also the lower attaining children who have a whole host of issues that despite trying various methods, I'm yet to find a winner. What I can say is that repeating a diet of the same next year won't work so I'm keen to find an alternative.
    Any further advice would be fab. Interesting to see RWI come up as that is something our school were looking at separately to my issue. Does anyone have any other alternatives?

12. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

Thank you, will certainly take a look!

13. There is a KS3 phonics intervention that I used in Year 6 with coniderable success- it's a strategy document and you might find it in the framework archives.

14. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

Great, thank you!