1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spelling Intervention

Discussion in 'English' started by WildKyogre, May 13, 2019.

1. WildKyogre

WildKyogre New commenter

Been asked to run an intervention (30 mins 2x week) for children spelling high frequency words incorrectly in their writing (year 3).
    These children will often spell these words correctly in a spelling test but then don't apply this knowledge to their independent writing.
    I've done a little dictation spelling test to assess starting points but am unsure where to go from here.

Any ideas for activities or how to structure this time effectively?

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Sounds like they need practice in proofreading. I'd start by having them identify errors in the writing of others (or samples) and go from there to identifying them in their own writing. The start of each class could be a quick spelling review through dictation or multiple choice to get the gears whirring.
    I'd also encourage them to form mnemonics for those words they frequently get wrong.