1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spelling intervention group help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by awicks39, Oct 27, 2015.

1. awicks39

awicks39 New commenter

Hi,

I am currently doing my PGCE and my first placement is in year two. There are quite a few children that are having trouble with spelling and I have been asked to run a daily spelling intervention group.

The teacher has said he thinks it's due to children not being confident in their sounds. I would love to impress with this. I am thinking revisiting a phase in phonics would be a good start to get children secure in their sounds. I am then thinking of introducing spellings and putting them in sentences. I have printed off these 'grammar passports' that I like too.

I am hoping for ideas on how to teach spelling interactively in a short amount of time. Any help much appreciated!! :)

Amy

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

You need to clarify what the teacher wants the spelling intervention to achieve. Is the children's spelling poor in that they are not using appropriate phonetic representations of the sounds, or poor in that they are not using the correct way of writing the words in English?

As an example, "I lik too rid" is not obviously spelled correctly.
    If the teacher wants the children to spell words correctly according to the norms of the English language, the sentence should look like this: "I like to read." If the teacher wants the children to work on their spelling of high frequency words, you would want to focus on "like" and "to".
    If the teacher wants the children to spell phonetically, the sentence could look like this: "I liek too reed." This is not spelled conventionally, but is phonetically accurate.

If you can tell us what the teacher wants, we can offer suggestions for what you could do in your time with the group.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I would say always praise phonetically plausible attempts but ensure child sees the correct spelling.

"Well done you can spell that sound that way but in this word we spell it like this can you put it right?

4. TOWIB

TOWIB New commenter

Whilst looking around for ideas for spelling I came across this. I have no idea how 'researched' it is but it seemed to offer a good way of teaching children to build a visual memory. It may be worth a watch. I am going to try it with a group of children to see whether it helps.

5. Msz

NLP has been widely discredited since it first appeared in the 60s

6. Msz