1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spelling???- Head Teacher or Headteacher

Discussion in 'Primary' started by louie102, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Just wondered what the correct spelling of headteacher is? Different dictionaries contadict each other!
    Thanks x

2. Just wondered what the correct spelling of headteacher is? Different dictionaries contadict each other!
    Thanks x

3. missbloggs

missbloggs New commenter

I hope someone answers as I'm not sure either! Maybe it's one of those either or things.

4. I always write Head Teacher, and I've definitely seen that spelling in official documents. I'm sure either is fine, though.

Z.

5. Our Head has Head Teacher on his door but we were told it should be Headteacher on a course I was on.

6. I would think that 'Head' 'Teacher' is seperate and therefore means 'teacher of Heads' but if its HeadTeacher then it means 'The Headteacher' not sure though!

7. All those jobs over on the right say "Headteacher" - maybe the TES know the definitive answer.

8. It is, of course, Head-teacher. ;)

But the best thing is to see what your "head" has printed on his/her door sign and tell them it's the other one.

Anyway, if your head-teacher is anything like mine, the teacher suffix is a laugh since he doesn't teach, except when cover gets desperate and then displays a complete inability to teach; moreover he shows little understanding of teaching. Perhaps the correct title would be to remove the "teacher" suffix and add the "dick" prefix.

9. LOL I'll keep that thought with me forever!!

10. A few years ago spell checkers used to come up with 'headache' as a suggested alternative... this always used to amuse me. I was a deputy at the time!