1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spelling from Primary 4 - 7

Discussion in 'Primary' started by robqosfc, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hi all, first time poster. Started this topic to ask what people on here do for spelling? We're currently working with Nelson spelling. Any other programmes I should be aware of / are good? Cheers

2. Hi all, first time poster. Started this topic to ask what people on here do for spelling? We're currently working with Nelson spelling. Any other programmes I should be aware of / are good? Cheers

3. What u should be aware of first and foremost is what makes learning to spell English extremely difficult for many children and which spelling irregularities are the most troublesome.
    The most visited pages on my free website www.EnglishSpellingProblems.co.uk are those for
    oo (long and short), o-e/oa, ee and doubled consonants.
    They also happen to be the ones with the longest lists of words with alternative spellings.
    I don't think there is any spelling programme that works for everyone. Because learning to spell English correctly, beyond the basic phonic level, is a matter of learning to memorise, word by word, the individual spelling quirks for 3700 words (food, mood - rude, shoddy, Noddy - body). Different children do it in very different ways, depending on many factors, and improve mainly by learning from their individual mistakes.
    But it's worth bringing some of the trickiest things, to their attention fairly regularly, along with the main spelling rules.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

5. Support for Spelling does not have enough words either. Nor does it distinguish between regularly and irregularly spelt words.
    My website and also my blog http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com/2010/11/english-spelling-rules.html
    are both useful for supplementing other resources.