1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spelling for adults?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pocoyo, Dec 24, 2011.

1. My boyfriend has always been very selfconscious about his spelling. His spelling is not as bad as he thinks it is but he finds it difficult to remember spelling patterns and the spellings just don't seem to stick in his head. This effects him at work and he stresses about it sometimes.
    I was wondering whether there are any online courses or evening courses or even websites that are good for teaching adults to spell in an interactive interesting way?
    I have looked all over and cannot find anything.
    Thank you in advance. x

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

If he isn't too bad, then probably could do with compiling a list of tricky words and just practising them?
    (btw <strike>effects</strike> affects [​IMG] )

3. Hahaha I knew I would make a spelling mistake writing this post! ;)
    We have tried that but they don't stick in his head which is why I am looking for something a bit more interactive.
    x

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Whatever you do, don't encourage him to spend time on TES. Too many people on here can't spell for toffee.

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Maybe this is a little obvious but what about the BBC Skillswise site?
    Yes, they have some very basic stuff there...but it covers the spelling rules. Some of the games are rather fun. (Others are mind-numbingly banal!)...Your friend could then work on his spelling at his own pace in private - no-one need know he is on a 'school-kids' site.

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Sorry for pointing it out[​IMG]
    Is there anything on BBC adult education pages?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/english

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

4 toffee

8. jazz2

jazz2 New commenter

What about an electronic spellchecker, like the Franklin?
    Could use it to check any words he isn't sure of.

9. I think that should be '4 toffees'.

10. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

11. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

This one tends to be recommended for dyslexics. x

12. I would also recommend the Franklin electronic spellchecker. As long as he can make a reasonable attempt at the spelling, it should come up with the correct alternative. BBC Skillswise may also offer some useful help. There are two books, both quite old but may be available on amazon, that I would recommend which are Signposts to Spelling by Joy Pollock and Logical Spelling by BV Allan. Both contain a fair bit of help to make spelling seem less random and also give interesting historical information. Whilst not fun and interactive, they are aimed at adults. You may also be able find out about any classes by asking at your local library.