1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spelling activities Yr1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dancing_blonde, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Hi
    I'm after some spelling activities for my HA groups. I've done the sentences, story writing including the spellings, wordsearches, etc. Can someone suggest some Literacy activities that will stretch that group, rather than altering the spellings themselves?
    Thank you.

2. I send out a CD of reading & spelling resources. I can send you a list of all the resources as well as some examples if you email me. Although the resources were made to help dyslexic pupils in Key Stage 2, they would be suitable for all children. There are numerous card & board games for phonic patterns as well as posters. I have many picture mnemonics for tricky words that can used for display.
    email: margaret2612@btinternet.com

3. My free website www.EnglishSpellingProblems.co.uk lists words with regular spellings on the Learning to Read page, but more able spellers need to concentrate more the irregularly spelt ones on the other pages. (They are listed in a different way on my blog.)
    U could print off a few at a time for a particular sound (ideally related to what they happen to be doing in English at the time) and let pupils try to learn them and test each other in pairs. These should be brief activities to build up word banks of tricky words, paying attention to the tricky bits in them.