1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

speeding

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by bobbles10, May 5, 2019.

1. bobbles10

bobbles10 New commenter

To cut a long story short came back to teaching primary four years ago. Good eyfs maternity cover then mixed age. Watch then support plan and left. Another job mixed age doing well but then hadn't made enough progress. Then maternity, bitchy new TAs back stabbing. Could of got permanent job but wasn't asked directly and missed hints to ask as very tired.Out of work no supply went in to depression, then on first call for supply was speeding, think unwell. Now have to go to court, will be criminal conviction is career over.

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

This post is very difficult to read legibly. A speeding conviction will not affect your career. A past colleague lost their licence and still retained a teacher post. I hope things look up for you as you sound/write as if you need some positivity in your life. Good luck!

3. bobbles10

bobbles10 New commenter

Thanks, although they were already in a post.

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Don't worry a speeding ticket will not end your teaching (or any) career.

I'm not even sure it counts as a criminal offence.

5. bobbles10

bobbles10 New commenter

It is a criminal conviction if it goes to court.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well it's not just "speeding" is it? If OP has to go to court then it is either following a raft of similar speeding incidences, or something happened eg they were UI and caused a crash.
    I think the main thing is that you are upfront about this in applications or with your current supply people.
    Without telling us what the conviction was for-because "speeding" in itself does not warrant a court appearance-it's really hard to say how it will impact on work if at all.
    Probably not, but if you have demonstrable past form of, say, drunk driving, then who knows.
    Be open about the process.
    You were using an agency for work when the incident happened-so presumably did not even get there?
    What did you tell them?
    Or was it on the way back?

CWadd likes this.
  7. bobbles10

bobbles10 New commenter

Excessive speeding

8. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Chances are you'll be told to pay a fine.

Chances are your licence will be suspended - which could be a serious problem if you rely on your car to get to work.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The speeding must have been extremely excessive to end up with a court case for a first offence.
    If convicted, then yes it could hamper you getting another post, as it potentially shows a total disregard for the safety of other people.

But then again, your chequered work history and inability to write coherently will also hamper your chances of being appointed to a permanent post.

10. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I had a colleague in my first school who was on a dangerous driving charge whilst a trainee. She was extremely lucky that she didn't get sent down for it, as she was driving back from a PE event with two students in the back of the car (parental permission was given for this.) As it was, she didn't get sent to prison, but had her licence revoked for three years - meaning she could only get to jobs that she could either walk or cycle to, or use public transport. She also had to declare it.

11. bobbles10

bobbles10 New commenter

12. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Say what you really mean! :D

caterpillartobutterfly and CWadd like this.
  13. bobbles10

bobbles10 New commenter

I agree. Ever joined a school where the Head mentally unstable
    Ever been watched from 9-12. Ever had six SEN and no TA,

14. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

you will be fine, if every teacher with a conviction was banned from teaching a lot of schools would have to close

15. bobbles10

bobbles10 New commenter

Thanks, I have never done anything like this before. A build up of stress. Usually with the jobs that are available there is a reason behind it. Toxic schools. In the first job I initially did well and was praised, then moved class in the same school where I had no TA and Head who had been off sick was a bit off the rails. Then next school there was a series of different teachers , no head then watched all the time. Next job top school but like the army. This is where I could of got a job but too exhausted to ask directly even though it was hinted at. Beat myself up over it as was a great chance however they did think autistic children should sit and that some possible sen children were just naughty. The TAs had been chucked out of nursery as they couldn't get sen to sit. Thus unhappy to get sen sitting.A catalogue of tricky situations. I am guilty of being unassertive but only because of fear of loosing a job.

16. caterpillartobutterfly

Open and honest...:)

And they can't have been that offended, they started 'following' me five minutes after I posted.

sabrinakat, CWadd and Pomza like this.
  17. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Given the state of teacher recruitment, I’m wondering when the government will start trawling prisons to find teachers. A fraudster could make an excellent maths teacher. Poisoned someone? Come and teach food tech. Etc etc

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You don't automatically lose your licence for a speeding offence.

In fact unless you were doing 100 mph in a 30 zone you will only get a fine

..and anyway traffic offences don't appear on your DBS.

19. bobbles10

bobbles10 New commenter

Thanks for your kindness

20. caterpillartobutterfly

Then, like I said, it must have been extremely excessive speeding to end up in court. Generally such things are done by post.
    Again, like I said, your inability to use correct English will be more of a barrier than a small speeding fine.
    I don't quite understand this. I teach children who have SEN, but they can all sit... unless there is a physical disability, of course they should sit when it's appropriate to do so.