1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speed limits and overtaking

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bnm, Apr 26, 2011.

1. bnm

bnm

You are.

2. Tell him to overtake a cop car that is doing 70 mph. :¬))

3. The only time I've been stopped for "speeding" was when I overtook a car that had done 30 mph throughout the entire 50 mph five-mile stretch of no-overtaking road, just before the road changed to 30 mph. I was only going as fast as I needed to get past it but a Police car was on me in seconds.
    I had no defence. I was going faster than 30 mph for about 50yds. Jobsworths. But they let me off with a patronising lecture.
    You are right. To overtake a vehicle doing 70 means you have broken the speed limit. Suggest to your husband that instead he drive right up the offending car's ****, beep his horn and flash his lights, then makes wanky gestures as he passes.

4. Robfreeman

Robfreeman New commenter

In the older versions of the highway code the motorway lanes were known as slow (Left) overtaking (Centre) Fast (right), in time that has changed and are not referred to in this way. Many people were taught at the time that when in the overtaking or fast lane you can exceed the speed limit to pass vehicles. The idea was that if you pass quickly you pass the danger (the other car) quicker and therefore are exposed to less risk.
    The only problem is on a motorway, if everyone is driving at 70 and your doing 80 you will always catch the car infront up exposing yourself to more danger, and with increased breaking distance, causing unneccersary danger to other road users. The current rule is as follows

<h4>Rule 261 - When Travelling on a motorway</h4>You MUST NOT exceed 70 mph (112 km/h), or the maximum speed limit permitted for your vehicle (see Rule 124). If a lower speed limit is in force, either permanently or temporarily, at road works for example, you MUST NOT exceed the lower limit. On some motorways, mandatory motorway signals (which display the speed within a red ring) are used to vary the maximum speed limit to improve traffic flow. You MUST NOT exceed this speed limit.

5. Robfreeman

Robfreeman New commenter

He couldnt ticket you, they have to follow you for at least 2 thirds of a mile with your average speed being above that of the limit.

6. Robfreeman

Robfreeman New commenter

They have to follow you for two thirds of a mile to get your average speed, before they can issue you a ticket, unless you have three reasonably experienced bystandards who are willing to say you were speeding, then you can get arrested under the 1969 road traffic act.

7. They insisted the car I overtook had only been doing 30 for some distance (they were right) and I did rather wonder how they could have known that. I didn't see them in my rear mirror at all while I crawling behind the Micra. Maybe they were just bored. Or had indigestion. Or been dumped.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I was stuck behind a police camera van today doing 45-50 in a 60 zone, you should have seen what I was doing to him - v-signs, d.ick-head signs, beeping the horn, driving within 2" of back bumper, accellerating past at about 90 etc.
    (part or all of the above may or may not have simply been in my imagination)

9. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

There is a limit of 10%, error in the speedo reading so it's possible to drive at 77 mph on a motorway without being nicked. However all speedometers are downgraded so when it says you're doing 70, you're probably only doing 65. If you have a satnav and check what it says against the speedo you'll get the point. Also check your speedo in town if you encounter any of those signs that tell you how fast you're travelling. Your speedo will always read 3 mph faster than they say.
    But speed limits are speed limits. They were never intended to be a target to follow. What does fast ever get you? Quicker to the traffic jam than the rest of us? Dead faster than the rest of us?

10. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I satnaved my speedo and it reads 70 when I am doing 68
    My calculations suggest that 80 is just about acceptable
    so I try to maintain 80mph on motorways.
    But it always creeps up and down.
    Cruise control is my next retrofit.

11. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I have two friends who often travel together on holidays I don't share with them as I have no interest in breaking ny bones skiiing, which hasn't been an uncommon occrrence among either of them or other family members in their party.
    They spend their immediate time back in civilisation comparing the virtues of the cruise controls fitted to their cars.
    One, a petrolhead, is convinced the other's isn't working as it should, because they don't keep pace. The other, an accountant, asks the first why he doesn't have it properly checked out so he doesn't waste unneccessary fuel.
    I have neither skiing holidays to worry about nor cruise controls. Am I worried in the least about this?

12. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

While a tad excessive an example :) this does also make a point in that it is also 100% illegal for anyone - including the police - to hinder your access. An incredible amount of motorists do not get this, especially on motorways. You must get out of the way. It is also true that when they move over, if you go above 70 to get past, you do risk a ticket, although as others have said, all speedometers are inaccurate and usually over optimistic to compensate for the law, so up to 75-78 on your speedo is very, very unlikely to get you into trouble. (Which again, wannabe policeman doing your 69mph in the fast lane because 'it's the law'.....you are probably doing a real 63, so get the **** out of the way). Police guidelines say 2mph + 10% (so 79mph) before tickets, but these guidelines are used less now in the times of speed cameras and targets, getting quick revenue.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've been done twice and one of them was for 78mph so I wouldn't advise following that piece of information.