1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speed camera

Discussion in 'Personal' started by amberwaves, May 30, 2011.

1. Do you know how long it takes for them to post a speeding ticket to you? I went through a camera today (a patch of road that used to be 40 and now it's 30 so i should have been checking) and I'm sure it flashed.
    I've just borrowed some money off my Mum and Dad because I'm broke. If I get a ticket it will go to their address because that's where my car is registered to. They will not be very impressed and I'd rather not look that stupid!
    How long do these things take to arrive and what sort of envelope do they come in? DVLA or Council or private firm?
    Thank you.

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

This is the new revenue scam. the local fuzz who run the course get the money. Speed fines go to the government. 3 and in fact up to 6 points should not affect your insurance.

3. Joi

Joi New commenter

Actually the course I went on was not run by the police.

4. Oh God it just gets worse. I'm on my Dad's insurance so he will find out won't he.

5. Joi

Joi New commenter

Any idea how fast you were going?

6. You should get it within 14 days if you did get flashed and yes it is a plain envelope and that speed you won't be offered a speeding awareness course it will just be 3 points and a fine as that what I got caught doing too. It has affected my insurance price for the last 3 years!

7. 36/37. I thought it was a 40 speed limit but I wouldn't have gone that fast because of the weather. I wouldn't have gone over 40 anyway.

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

speed camera usually have a margin of 3% so you would probabaly be safe at around 33-34 MPH.

9. Joi

Joi New commenter

I believe different areas have different criteria, many places will offer a course if you were "marginal" ie something like speed limit +10%+2 (so that's 35 in a 30 zone) so you may be OK and your Dad won't know... Why don't you Google your local Speed awareness place or your local Police force and see if you can find out. Or just keep your fingers crossed!

10. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Are your parents so unsympathetic? I'm sure they will understand, especially as there's been a recent change.

11. You have more to worry about than a speeding ticket, your car is not registered to your address and you don't have your own insurance.

OK I don't know your exact circumstances but if you are the main driver but the car is registered to your parents and your dad is named asthe main driver you are driving without insurance and you are both commiting fraud.

As i said I don't know your circumstances and the above could be BS - but please if it's not theb get it sorted out

12. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

This happened to me when I was 18 - on my mum's insurance because it was cheaper. The limit had recently changed and a speed camera installed about 2 metres beyond the 30 sign. It was a very familiar stretch of road, so I never noticed the sly change (and it was sly - I wasn't the only one who hadn't realised the limit had been decreased.)

The letter came through about a week later. The time and date of the ticket was when I was supposed to have been at work, so not only busted by the police for speeding, I was busted by my mum for skiving work too :)

Paid the fine, got the points, didn't really affect my insurance premium when I got my own policy about 6 months later. Mum did the disappointed act for approximately 3 days, which was when she was pulled over, slapped with 3 points and a bigger fine than mine for an illegal right turn. It all evens out in the end :)

13. jazz2

jazz2 New commenter

Amberwaves said she is on her father's insurance - that's not the same as driving without insurance. There's nothing wrong with registering the car to a different address - there would only be a problem if the car weren't registered at all.

14. absolutel. The car is registered and insured so there isn't a problem.
    However the ticket will be coming to the registered owner of the car - I can't remember if that is the OP or her Dad!

15. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Hmmm ... yes, there may be. Insurance firms insure the owner of the car and anyone who drives it. It is fraud if the insured is not the main driver or doesn't drive the car at all. Or something like that.
    It is worth checking up on in case you have an accident.
    As far as the speeding goes though, tell your parents now and get it over with. There will be a collective sigh of relief if it doesn't come.

16. Although Amberwaves is on her father's insurance. If the car is hers and she is the main driver then that is a big issue! It's called fronting. If you are the main driver of the car but you're using your dad as the main driver to make the insurance cheaper then you can be in big trouble if you get caught! If this is the case I suggest you get your own policy asap, even though it will be more expensive it works out better in the long run as you get to build up a no claims.
    I know insurance isn't cheap - I'm only 23 but I have my own policy and have 4 years NCD as I use 10 month policies. It's cost me a lot of money doing this with my insurance in the first two years costing £1200 a year but I'm slowly getting it down (currently around £700). I put both my parents as named drivers to make it cheaper.
    If the car is indeed your dad's and you only use it occasionally then you can ignore what I have said (but bear it in mind for the future)
    Sorry I am no help on the speed camera front.

17. I know what was said.

If it is her car, or if she is the main driver and the car is insured as being her fathers with him as the main driver then yes it is the same as not being insured. It is comonly called fonting but the propper name is fraud.

The posts implier that Amberwaves does not live at her father's address but that the car is both registered there and insured to her father.
    I qualified my origional post because I do not know the full circumstances but if it is as I have just stated then the OP and OP's father could be in trouble - it is worth checking. The last thing the OP needs is another fine and another 6 points on their licence coupled with the pocibility of father being fined as well.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/car-insurance-are-you-breaking-the-law/0011415/

18. You may be right but that is not what was said

I am on my husband's insurance ... if I have an accident/points he needs to know so he can adjust my insurance

Clearly I also have insurance for my own car in my own name (and my husband is on it)

Let's hope this is what the OP meant [​IMG]

19. The car is my father's. My mother, my brother and I are all named drivers on his insurance. I don't use the car except when I'm visiting. I can't afford to run a car or the insurance. I was hoping the letter would come this week while I was here - but I see now that when it does it will be addressed to him and I probably won't recognise it anyway.
    They already can't understand how I can be a teacher and "only rent" and never have any money, while my brother didn't go to Uni. lived at home and always seems flush. tbh I don't know where the money goes either! It's definitely not on partying! I only teach 2 days a week btw. I'm a TA for the others.

20. In that case tell him now

It would be very poor of you to allow him to open a letter that tells him he has been speeding etc ...
    he needs to know in advance

Do I read from your posts that you were hoping to spot the letter and .... well I don't know what you
    were going to do then

If this is your Dad's car I cannot believe that you have not already told him