1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

speed camera-but not speeding!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mrsh84, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Last night we got flashed doing 55 in a 60. I checked the signs again after it flashed (only flashed once) and my husband checked his speedo again. We were pulling an empty trailer so no way we would have been speeding anyway, it bounces too much. We pulled over a bit further down the road by a road sign and I took a photo of the car with the trailer on using my mobile. Really can't be doing with a speeding fine when we weren't even speeding (would take it on the chin if we had). What do we do if we get a letter? (It would be my husband as he was driving, but I was as shocked as him when the camera flashed).

2. 1. Are you sure it was YOU who got flashed? Were there any other vehicles on the road/
    2. Are you sure the speed limit was 60? I've just been done because I would have sworn that I was on a 40 road. There was one sign before the camera telling me it was 30 and I missed it.

3. Definitely 60, the flash went right in our eyes, but I'm not sure if other cars were on the other side or not. We are going that way again tonight and I will check.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

As far as I am aware speed cameras only flash at vehicles travelling away from them ...

5. They are not allowed to flash at oncoming traffic. The flash would have been at the car travelling in the opposite direction. Relax!

6. That's exactly what happened to me! I spent about a week worrying about it, and then decided to believe OH who'd been telling me this all along. Sadly, he was very smug.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've been in a similar situation. Flashed (from the rear) doing less than 60 in a 60 zone. There had been road works with a temporary 50 limit until a day or so before, and the speed camera hadn't been adjusted. There was no follow up.

On another occasion, driving a classic VW camper at a modest speed (I had no other choice believe me) on a motorway I was flashed for no apparent reason. At the next service station I found out why - some bloke walks up to me in the car park and asked if his vanorak son could look at my camper because he was really keen on them and had taken a flash photo of it as they overtook us a few miles back.

8. Thanks, I really hope it is the case that it couldn't flash at us as we were going towards it! We shall have a nervous couple of weeks waiting to see if anything comes of it. (Or rather I will be nervous, he will remain laid back as ever).

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

All fixed cameras are rear facing. They will not flash at cars approaching, only cars travelling away from them. Relax.

10. I got flashed from behind once (oo-er) and spent ages worrying about it. ........
    But I didn't get a fine.....
    So I agree. Don't worry about it! .