1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speech to Type programmes?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, May 20, 2019.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Once you used to get audio programs that turned your speech into writing.
    I am wondering if anyone has used any such programme and their experiences.
    Mrs Oldy is finding it hard to type and read the text as her eyesight fails.I was wondering if i bought her such a programme it would help her when she writes to friends and business?
    Any ideas please? Thank you in anticipation.

2. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

The one on the iPad is great. I use it to type up hand written notes and it works fine.

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The only way you'll know is to try. Lots of software has a trial period if it's not free. I remember years ago it used to take ages to train them to get used to a particular voice. I can now use Google search on my phone by speaking to it which its got right almost all the time, even when I've said the latin name of plants so they seem to have improved a lot.

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I have in the past used this provider and it worked well:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Nat...ocphy=1006965&hvtargid=pla-426309893986&psc=1

5. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

In newer versions of Word you can dictate. But I think it only reads the text back to you. I will have a look tomorrow at school.

6. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

8. oldsomeman

9. oldsomeman

Thank Lilac I shall mention this and maybe trial it for a week to see if I can make it work. Do you know offhand if it can be saved after dictation and or capable of leaning the language of knitting? lol

10. oldsomeman

I am looking for more speech to words but I have not seen this in ipad. What is the program called please?

11. geographyrox

geographyrox New commenter

Just press the microphone button on your keyboard (next to space) and speak into it. I use it for report writing and it saves so much time!

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

No. But I do know that dyslexic students find it very useful, as do EAL students.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The last version I used was in 2009 and it was very good and easy to use. Maybe the computer speed and capacity is a governing factor?

14. oldsomeman

cheers

lilachardy likes this.
  15. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I have often used Texthelp read and write. I used it more to read to me but it does do speech to text as well.
    At the time I needed it most I just got free trials and tested them all to find one that worked for me. Makes sense to try free ones first, at the time, free ones were no good for me but I was able to buy second hand on a well known auction site.

16. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

In Windows....
    Start menu > Windows Ease of Access > Windows Speech Recognition.
    Not as good as, say, Dragon, but costs nothing more once you have Windows.

17. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

My wife has tried to use Dragon for her PhD but it is not accurate enough and she spends almost as much time making corrections as she would typing.

I will depend what you want it for and how much time you are prepared to give the program to get used to your voice.