1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speech Therapist to SENCO?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bh93, Feb 16, 2016.

1. bh93

bh93 New commenter

Hello!

I've recently finished a Speech Therapy degree and I think I've found its not really for me. I've always been keen on becoming a SENCO but I'm not sure how to go about it. Of course I'll need further qualifications but I'm not sure what. Do I need a PGCE and then further qualifications??

Any answers would be amazing!
    Thanks in advance.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Almost all schools will want you to have QTS and experience teaching in the classroom, so a PGCE and a few years teaching would be the usual way to go.

Advising teachers on how to manage a child with autism, dyslexia, adhd, etc is a million miles from speech therapy. To be credible you will need to have experienced being a teacher in a class with 30 children, where possibly half have some kind of specific need.

minnie me likes this.
  3. bh93

bh93 New commenter

Thanks very much for the speedy reply!

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Agree that imperative to be able to model the 'practice you preach' and crucially ( here I sound like a broken record ! ) be able to demonstrate key leadership and management qualities so you can empower the staff and develop effective whole school SEND provision.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ahhh there you go...must make a note to at least try to keep up with changes. ;)