1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speech/Text/Type App

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by dbloomf, Dec 10, 2018.

1. dbloomf

dbloomf New commenter

I am looking for an App to use with a year 5 child with dyslexia traits to speak their answers which will then turn it into text, which he can then print and edit.

2. lizzielh

lizzielh New commenter

3. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Google Docs has it built in as a feature.

4. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Also worth looking into the immersive reader for OneNote and Word (in Word it's under Review > Read Aloud, OneNote is a bit more picky depending on what version you're using but View > Immersive Reader on my version I use most often on Windows) - with the OneNote one it's really handy if you pair it with the OfficeLens app on anything with a camera where you can photograph a page of text and import it automatically and it will read back to you with a fair degree of accuracy and also can do things like highlight just the line or couple of lines of text or change the background colour and similar... free so obviously worth trying to see if it's a viable solution for you.

My daughter has dyspraxia and struggles with the motor skills required to write - so I spend a fair amount of time disappearing down various assistive technology internet rabbit holes looking for possible solutions for her. In our case she has speech problems so voice to text isn't the greatest solution for her.

Snaptype is great for photographing a worksheet and being able to type (with all the predictive and spelling tools that includes) anywhere on it... android version is fairly feature bare and temperamental compared to the iPad version though. We're trying Clicker Docs for mine to type and use wordbanks as well and I really like that.

I think Dragon still comes out on top for voice recognition - there's an inbuilt one in Windows that I've played around with (but for the reasons I mentioned it didn't quite work well for my child) https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-set-up-speech-to-text-in-windows-10/ it might be worth playing around trying that to see if it's a viable solution before shelling out for a paid one.

Also just found this link which I haven't played around with yet http://www.callscotland.org.uk/Blog/free-speech-recognition-in-microsoft-office/ an Office addon that might be of use too.