1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speech Marks exercise

Discussion in 'English' started by Laura_123, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Hiya i need to teach a literacy activity to do with speech marks and moses and the bulrushes. i am stumped as to what i could do? if it was anything i would get them to write a story with speech in but the teacher says she doesnt want them to do much writing?x

help!!

2. What year is this for? How long have you got?
    You could give them a version of the story and get them to put in the missing speech marks. This would onlty take a few minutes.
    You could gaive them three different versions of the story, each one progressively longer and more detailed, and get them to put in the speech marks. This still doesn't take very long. It helps if you "choose parts" and they read it aloud after, with you as the narrator.
    You could have the story on the IWB and get them to come out and put in the speech marks. Then choose pupils to be the characters in the story, you read the narration and they read their parts that are in the speech marks. This reinforces the idea that speech marks go around the parts actually spoken aloud.
    I would then get them to write the ending, perhaps just a sentence or two, including speech and trying to put the speech marks in the right place. This would only involve a little writing but would show who has got it and who hasn't.
    Good luck!

3. I've done a speech mark activity where I give the pupils a cartoon strip with empty speech bubbles. They then fill the speech bubbles with something relevant and punctuate it as a sentence, complete with capitals and end punctuation. I then have them write out the equivalent speech beneath each caption, but within speech marks. This way it helps them understand that the end punctuation goes inside the marks and there is always a capital to start. Yours could involve a cartoon strip of the story you wish to teach.