1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speech and Language ideas/entitlement

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by bumblebee111, Jul 15, 2012.

1. I have a child in my new class who has been having weekly speech therapy sessions but Mum is not happy that this is enough. She needs more ideas of things to do at home that her son will engage with and not become bored so easily. Can anyone explain to me what his NHS entitlement is, and how we can get more useful support?
    Thank you

2. I have a child in my new class who has been having weekly speech therapy sessions but Mum is not happy that this is enough. She needs more ideas of things to do at home that her son will engage with and not become bored so easily. Can anyone explain to me what his NHS entitlement is, and how we can get more useful support?
    Thank you

3. Does the child have speech problems or language problems?
    I don't have any speech sounds stuff, but our local SALT gave me some great simple suggestions for improving language at home, rather than the sit and do exercises that usually come through.
    Happy to email them to you.
    K

4. Thank you all. It's speech, he has the language but struggles with making the sounds. I'll plod on!

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Has he been seen by SaLT? If so they should be able to give you a programme to work through.

6. He has and still will be seen fortnightly. I think his mum is after a quick fix really. The SaLT says he needs to keep practising but Mum says he's bored.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

are you following his programme in school?
    Doing other things could actually counterproductive in the long term.

8. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Sounds like he needs some more exciting activities to do...
    Depending on which speech sounds he needs to work on.
    Could he do some practising silly faces (mouth shapes in mirrors?
    Or blowing bubbles / bubble painting?
    If he needs sounds which are made at the back of his mouth like 'g' he could have a picture of a goal and some football picture cut outs and each time he say the word correctly from a picture card he can 'score a goal'.
    Try googling 'articulation speech games ideas'
    e.g. http://everythingspeech.com/treatment/articulation-treatment/articulation-games/
    What does he need to improve on specifically?
    x

9. Great phonics teaching will probably serve him very well if it's about 'speech' - and this would not need entertaining features.

10. Yes, but the SaLT said we need to have lots of conversation opportunities so we're OK to do other things.

11. Just the kind of things I'm looking for. Thank you

12. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

Weekly speech therapy is a lot more than other children get. I have lots of children in my class, some with serve delays and problems, they are lucky to be seen once a month.
    I hope the mother isnt putting her child under to much pressure. Role play is great for supporting speech she can help him in a fun way. Maybe a picnic with cups and saucers etc..
    simple jigsaw puzzles to do together with pictures that they can talk about is another good one..
    and the toy phone is always a favourite..
    I find social interaction with peers is also one of the best ways also to support speech development.
    At the start of my day, we all practise the sound and mouth movements, so the key children are unaware it is specifically for them. I had one child who wouldnt do any of them unless we pretended we were a train.. then he joined in. He grunted when he first joined us, but after a year his speech although not perfect is understandable and his comprehension is great.