1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speculative emails

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by gempy1985, Feb 26, 2016.

1. gempy1985

gempy1985 New commenter

Hi,

I'm in my 6th year of teaching but have been on maternity since Jan 2015 and didn't return as I was on a temporary contract and my head wouldn't accept a part time request. In hindsight it was a blessing in disguise as we had some family health problems and I've needed the extra time off.
    I'm thinking of looking for positions to start in September and a friend suggested sending speculative emails to Heads of local schools to put 'feelers' out to find out the likelihood of them having any positions that suit my new part time needs.
    What do you think?! Thanks!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's usually pointless. Do what everyone does and look in the usual places for job ads.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

4. gempy1985

gempy1985 New commenter

Thanks! It's what I thought anyway but thought I'd check.
    Although I do feel the need to add that so many of the schools in my area and surrounding areas don't advertise and instead recruit through supply agencies (or from my last school word of mouth from someone's church! It was a friend of the deputy head!) that I wonder if there is any point in waiting for adverts or if I should leave the profession altogether until my daughter is school age herself! It's a tough one! ;)

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Any school that recruits via agencies is paying monumental sums of money in fees to them. I can't believe that any school does this, other than a last resort to fill a 'difficult' post.

6. gempy1985

gempy1985 New commenter

Come to Wales and educate the Heads here! They don't seem to understand that! In my last school 4 positions (primary and not difficult to fill) were filled using supply teachers including one that was advertised and withdrawn on the closing date. One was given by word of mouth as it was a friend of the deputy head!
    Unfortunately it happens a lot more often than it should!