1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speculative contact with schools

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by specialsupply, Apr 12, 2011.

1. specialsupply

specialsupply New commenter

I have been on supply for several years, up to now always through agencies. I now need more work (as we all do!) and want to contact schools directly. I know I should send my CV, but should I also include a covering letter? What kind of thing would this include - should it be similar to an application letter for a long-term job?

2. I was in a similar situation and I sent a covering letteras well as my CV. I did get some work out of this, but did get quite a few replies, even if only to explain that they already had a list of their own regular supply teachers. It is definitely worth a try. Good Luck.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

To be honest, I wouldn't bother writing or sending a CV- I believe in most case thet never get to the Head or DH, but go straight into the nearest bin.
    The best approach would be via direct contact with schools. They're more likely to remember you. You can show them your CRB so they know you're checked (safe-guarding and all that!) 7 you can actually say what your skill sets are & they're more likely to consider 'that would be usefl'.
    I also wouldn't spread yourself too thin, so should 'the call' come, you're immediately available & give a good impression.
    Best of luck! I'm off to do the same next term.