1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speculative application letters

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by BoringGiant, Feb 1, 2019.

1. BoringGiant

BoringGiant New commenter

Hi,

Just wondering whether it's worth sending a few speculative application letters to a few schools in the area I would like to relocate to.
    Looking for a job starting in September and really itching to get the process moving.

Does it annoy Headteachers when they recieve these? Or has anyone ever appointed after recieving one?

2. install

install Star commenter

Didn't you just recently start a job in 2018? :cool:

3. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

What you’ll find is that speculative applications will probably not get read when vacancies do arise. If you are planning on doing some supply work, then it might be worth sending a email, but if you’re looking for a permanent position then set up job alerts on teaching recruitment sites for the area that you are looking to relocate to, then when a vacancy does arise, you will receive an email.
    Don’t forget, although you are looking at relocating, you do still need to let your HT know of your plans, and if you are moving based on personal reasons, it should make it easier to have that conversation as I know many teachers do find it daunting!

Rott Weiler likes this.
  4. BoringGiant

No. Why do you ask this?

5. install

install Star commenter

In another thread 'Negotiating pay' you say you are 'returning to teaching' in 2018...

6. BoringGiant

Yes, true. I didn’t get the job though.

7. install

install Star commenter

I see. So have you still been out of teaching for a while or are you relocating as a teacher? It will be important to be clear for any prospective employer :cool:

8. BoringGiant

I don't understand why you are focusing on my employment status. It's irrelevant to the question I asked.

cathr likes this.
  9. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

All you can do is set up job alerts foe schools/local jobs. As a head I'm afraid I will only consider anyone who has applied in the proper way to avoid any perception of not being completely fair.

starlightexpress likes this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

If you are speculating for a teaching job, your present status is highly relevant. If you merely state you are 'relocating', but fail to point out a lack of recent teaching experience, there may be doubts raised about your credibility and openess. Are you really saying you are 'unemployed' now? Or are you saying that you work in a different industry ? Honesty is crucial.

Best to wait until jobs are advertized or go for Supply in my opinion :cool:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  11. dts

dts Occasional commenter

My school does operate a talent pool through Eteach but we tend to find it more difficult to recruit. In schools that generally get a strong field of applicants, I can't see why they'd bother.

12. BoringGiant

I agree with your point about honesty when applying for jobs. However, there is a big difference between applying for a teaching job and posting on a forum. There are a whole range of reasons why someone might not be wholly honest when posting on a teaching forum - not wanting to identify themselves from their situation being an important one.

You have quite rightly spotted that on my post ‘negotiating pay’, I did change one aspect of my current situation. I’m teaching abroad and looking to move back to the UK.

Thanks for your help!

13. install

install Star commenter

Yes. It is confusing as to which version is real in that case, and which is made up, but good luck.

14. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Most Safer Recruitment training providers (if not all) would advise heads not to accept speculative applications.