1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Specific heat capacity interview!

Discussion in 'Science' started by Tato, May 17, 2017.

1. Tato

Tato New commenter

Hi folks
    I am preparing an interview lesson on an introduction to SHC but it is only for 25 mins. All the practicals I know are quite lengthy. anyone got a suggestion as to a quick demo or activity?
    Thanks

2. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Classic demo is to show/ask why a balloon filled with water will not be popped by a burning match, but one filled with air will.

3. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

A simple search on YouTube will bring you a lot of results.

4. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Alternative demo style would be to heat a small metal block in a Bunsen, drop into a large beaker of water and measure the temperature rise. By calculating the increase in energy of the water, you can then calculate how hot the metal block was.

5. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Just wondering if you could put the idea of specific heat capacity in some sort of context. A practical we used to with Salters was warming dry soil and water with radiant heat lamps and measuring the temperature rise over a period of time. Pupils may well be familiar of the land warming faster than the sea from geography and maybe physics so could be used as a hook into discussion of why this might happen.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Over such a short lesson, I might think of heating two beakers of water for the same length of time, one with twice as much water as the other and thinking about why the temperature change is smaller with the big beaker.