1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Specific Facebook comments in policy

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by pmp4, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Sorry I should have been a bit more specific. I am a lead teacher and some of the schools I work with are working together on an Internet policy. I know you have to be 13 but every primary school has children that have Facebook accounts. Sometimes set up by parents. Also some parents are slagging off the school and having a go at kids on Facebook. I am starting to dread Mondays because some tiny disagreement on a Friday gets blown out of proportion, via Facebook, by Monday. I just want to have a specific paragraph about what we can do as a school. For example, do you think I should have a statement about informing Facebook if we find kids in our school that have an account?

2. Thanks DEmsley

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

In order to future proff any policy staement it might be an idea not to mention specific sites but rather refer to social networking sites or group accessible via digital technologies. You might simply state that the school will comply with any such group's own policy, leaving the door open to reveal ages to sites such as Facebook if the school considers it necessary..
    Personally I don't think we can do anything about the disagreements enabled by such sites, just promote good relationships, highlight ways to handle conflict with deal with the aftermath in school in the ways we always have.

4. <h2>Unlawful content in electronic communications</h2><a id="p_13">[/URL]<h3>Improper use of public electronic communications network - Section 127 Communications Act, 2003</h3>The Communications Act 2003 section 127, see Stones 8 - 30110B [and Blackstones B19.40], covers the sending of improper messages. Section 127(1)(a) relates to a message etc that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character and should be used for indecent phone calls and emails. Section 127(2) targets false messages and persistent misuse intended to cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; it includes somebody who persistently makes silent phone calls (usually covered with only one information because the gravamen is one of persistently telephoning rendering separate charges for each call unnecessary).
    If a message sent is grossly offensive, indecent, obscene, menacing or false it is irrelevant whether it was received. The offence is one of sending, so it is committed when the sending takes place. The test for "grossly offensive" was stated by the House of Lords in DPP v Collins [2006] 1 WLR 2223 to be whether the message would cause gross offence to those to whom it relates (in that case ethnic minorities), who need not be the recipients. The case also said that it is justifiable under ECHR Art 10(2) to prosecute somebody who has used the public telecommunications system to leave racist messages.
    The offence is a summary offence, and part of the fixed penalty scheme.
    It is more appropriate to charge bomb hoaxes under section 51 of the Criminal Law Act 1977. See Public Order Offences, elsewhere in this guidance.

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I'd recommend ignoring anything on FaceBook some of the muppets on there only do it to get a rise, basically attention seeking ***......
    .... but if anyone wants to "friend" me.....
    Who was it said "I wouldn't want to be in any club that would have me as a member"?

PS - When did "friend" become a verb?

6. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

My goodness I cannot believe that muppets is blocked.
    Jim Henson is a hero of godlike stature - how dare they!!!

7. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Maybe I didn't put muppets?