1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Specific children in my class...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lizzii_2008, Jan 18, 2012.

1. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

Right I'm just curious to hear outsider's thoughts and advice regarding 2 children in my Nursery class...
    1) This child I have serious concerns about and the family seem a little in denial. They have an appointment at a medical centre for a complete assessment, which is a positive step forward. She is very uncomfortable physically and moves like a toddler, and stands up by getting on all fours. Her speech is extremely poor; speaks less than 10 words and much of this copying the people around her. I have been using flashcards with her and she is recognises a 'duck' but other than that she named a fish, monkey, cat, apple, car all 'dog' or 'woof'. She cannot play and no matter how much modelling she loses interest within 5 seconds. She has shown an aggressive nature towards her peers including shouting 'shut up' and pushing them. She is not toilet trained and shows no awareness of needing the toilet and no sensation when she is wet/soiled. She cannot follow any social cues, such as simply sitting down. She is often wondering the toilets turning the taps on and soaking herself, and she has done the same in the water tray, as well as throwing sand and paint everywhere (you may ask why she is just wondering but children can access the toilets freely, and there is only a TA and I and it is not possible to monitor her actions all day). I'm really looking for advice her about how I can support her educationally? I don't know how to plan for her so really any thoughts or advice are welcome!
    Lastly there is another child in my class who has a really low self esteem and believes he can't do anything and will not give many activities a go at all. I find it really surprising that a 3 year old uses such words 'I can't do it' and I'm not sure how to go about raising this child's self esteem? He comes from a very negative family and this obvioulsy passes down to him but how can I help raise his self esteem? I praise the children endlessly so just wondered if there was anything else I could do?

2. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

Right I'm just curious to hear outsider's thoughts and advice regarding 2 children in my Nursery class...
    1) This child I have serious concerns about and the family seem a little in denial. They have an appointment at a medical centre for a complete assessment, which is a positive step forward. She is very uncomfortable physically and moves like a toddler, and stands up by getting on all fours. Her speech is extremely poor; speaks less than 10 words and much of this copying the people around her. I have been using flashcards with her and she is recognises a 'duck' but other than that she named a fish, monkey, cat, apple, car all 'dog' or 'woof'. She cannot play and no matter how much modelling she loses interest within 5 seconds. She has shown an aggressive nature towards her peers including shouting 'shut up' and pushing them. She is not toilet trained and shows no awareness of needing the toilet and no sensation when she is wet/soiled. She cannot follow any social cues, such as simply sitting down. She is often wondering the toilets turning the taps on and soaking herself, and she has done the same in the water tray, as well as throwing sand and paint everywhere (you may ask why she is just wondering but children can access the toilets freely, and there is only a TA and I and it is not possible to monitor her actions all day). I'm really looking for advice her about how I can support her educationally? I don't know how to plan for her so really any thoughts or advice are welcome!
    Lastly there is another child in my class who has a really low self esteem and believes he can't do anything and will not give many activities a go at all. I find it really surprising that a 3 year old uses such words 'I can't do it' and I'm not sure how to go about raising this child's self esteem? He comes from a very negative family and this obvioulsy passes down to him but how can I help raise his self esteem? I praise the children endlessly so just wondered if there was anything else I could do?

3. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Child one is going to be a long job.
    Child two - the advice is to say, yes, it is hard, but you can do it.

4. Nelly's got it spot on! Child 1 needs intervention and assessment; child 2 needs lots of applause and gentle challenges; those that are expected from all by the end of the year - nudge forwards in stages. I give stickers for 'trying SO HARD'. And when they have tried I also say, "How clever are YOU. You CAN do it!" High fives, applause, anything BUT no matter what there is no cop-out clause.